Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
California
I have this Macbook 4,1 that I bought off craigslist a while back, and i've been trying to figure this out before but gave up. The problem is that all fan controlling software thinks I have two fans but I only have one, then just now i decided to look at the smc and looked it up and it was 1.2f10 and it looks like it's for the macbook pro. Can someone help me figure out how to put back the correct smc? This loud fan at max speed because the second fan that is non existent is driving me nuts :mad:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
First, I'd check the serial number (through OS X) and check it on Apple's website to make sure it shows up with what it should. Being an Early 2008 MacBook. And compare it to the one on the case under the battery. That way you can see if it's the original logic board or if it has been modified.

If it's the original. the firmware should be 1.4 (1.31f1) http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1312

Here's what mine looks like for reference:
FtkKzf3.png

Matthew619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
California
First, I'd check the serial number (through OS X) and check it on Apple's website to make sure it shows up with what it should. Being an Early 2008 MacBook. And compare it to the one on the case under the battery. That way you can see if it's the original logic board or if it has been modified.

If it's the original. the firmware should be 1.4 (1.31f1) http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1312

Here's what mine looks like for reference:

Okay, sorry for not immediately responding, but yes my logic board matches the serial number on the casing itself, but what i'm curious of is what the original smc firmware is for our macbook 4,1 :confused:

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Without getting fancy and doing a lot of program lying, its not really possibly to just install MacBoo Pro firmware on a MacBook. You used to be able to download any firmware you wanted, but the moment you ran the installer, it would verify the hardware and say No Go.

I recommend a PRAM and SMC reset, reboot. I think you're running Snow Leopard correct? Try backing up all important files, maybe even Time Machine if your equipment supports it. Once done, erase hard, install Snow Leopard and update from there to the latest and greatest that your hardware supports. Report and let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.