My macbook has me in a serious pickle.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by taiga, Jun 21, 2009.

1. taiga macrumors newbie

My laptop and I are at a crossroads. It's been a long while. In Dec. 2006 I bought myself a christmas present: A shiny new macbook. The cheapest, lowest-end model at the time. Used it for about a year, no complaints. Eventually I noticed mild lagging... it was not functioning to the full capacity it was at first. And then suddenly, the hard drive died. Or at least that's what they told me at the professional computer store I took it to last week (I would have taken it to a legitimate apple store but there are none in the fair city of Philadelphia. Weird huh?) they made me pay $100 merely for that simple diagnosis. --2 year long gap in the timeline is from me waiting around hoping that one day I would get the files on the dead HD recovered. Gave up last week.-- Anyway, this store told me they did a FULL/THOROUGH diagnostic that would prove if there was anything else wrong with the comp. There wasn't. Besides the dead HD my mac is *supposedly* in full working order.

Side note: Before I found out the HD was dead I assumed it simply needed to be reset/reformatted whatever ya call it. My friend attempted to install linux on a cd and nothing happened. at all.

So. I order a brand new HD. Western Digital 120 GB, 8 MB Cache, SATA 3 Gb/s, 5400 RPM, 2.5" APPARENTLY, according to applecare phone hotline thingermajig, more that good enough for my machine. I only needed a SATA 1.5 (Tell me thats not where I went wrong)

I installed it myself. VERY CAREFULLY. the utmost, soberest sort of delicacy. I watched a video tutorial on youtube. I'm 99% certain I did fine.

Then I tried to run that linux cd that had been sitting around again. This time the boot screen for ubuntu showed up. It hadn't before. Installing that HD had been a success, or so I thought. The boot screen funtioned. I was able to scroll amongst the 5 or so options with the arrow keys. But, if I attempted to hit enter and select an option, It would freeze, and nothing would happen. I tried restarting a ton of times and selecting different options, but it would always freeze.

I ejected the linux cd. A computer savvy friend of mine then proceeded to download a copy of OSX for me. I'm not sure what your opinions on pirated software are, but I personally feel that I payed 1300-some dollars for a computer and just because I lost the install disc doesn't me I should have to pay another $130.

I burned it onto cd. Inserted. The computer starts making these vibrations, mild, but significantly more intense then I've ever experienced on a macbook. And they don't seem to necessarily be disk-reading sort of vibrations. It also doesn't work. In fact, all that happens is the same blinking-folder-with-question-mark I saw when it first stopped working 2 years ago. Also, I can't eject it.

So my options are:

1. Go to an Apple Store without a warranty and a manually installed HD and bootleg OSX cd stuck inside.

2. Pay a computer shop a bazillion dollars to help me.

3. Cry.

Do you guys have any advice? It would be seriously much appreciated.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Try holding down the mouse button when you restart the machine. That should (hopefully) force eject the cd.

I'm not sure why you've been using linux on it?

The hard drive you can put in yourself and it doesn't void the warranty, so you're fine taking that in to the apple store as it is.

As regards to the pirated OS X disk...well...could be that your friend downloaded a dodgy copy. Give it another whirl if you want, but you might be better off seeing if apple will sell you new install disks. It's restore disks you're after, not a retail copy after all.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It's pushing 3 years old and when you bought it, it was the low end. It's time to stop sinking money into it.

4. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

have you tried booting holding down the "C" key?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I might have missed something - if you bought the MacBook new, why did you need to download OS X? Do you not have the disks that came with it?

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

he lost it, that is why he had to get one via other means...

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Duh, I see that now - my bad :eek:

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

OP - call Apple. They will send you replacement disks for your machine for about $15. [They may ask for a machine serial number or similar information.]