My MacBook hates 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Surely, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

That's right, my MacBook hates 10.5.8.

Ever since updating:
    • The fans keep going on and off because the CPU or Airport Card are hot (but I'm not doing anything that would require heavy processor or Airport use)
    • My MacBook has frozen twice and required a hard restart
    • The Mail App dock icon looked like the attached photo for a while. The icon became a weird jumble of whatever was on the screen at the time. It went away when I quit and restarted Mail.
    • Safari keeps freezing up
    • The spinning beach ball keeps asking for attention
    • There was a random white square next to the Spotlight icon in the Menu bar (it disappeared when I clicked on Spotlight- I should have taken a screenshot first)

WTH? Anyone else experiencing any of this?

Any solutions if this doesn't self-resolve?

Attached Files:

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

I've seen the combo update mentioned in many threads. How does it differ from using the software update utility?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Combo Update contains everything moving a person for 10.5.1 straight up to the current update.

By normal user terms this means that the Combo "replace the changed file" while the Delta just "Updates the file".

I hope this makes sense because the few years of OS X people have learned that most any point OS X update problems the combo should be used to clear things up. So some have even went so far to use only the combo update after the first delta update to avoid potential problems.

6. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I'm backed up- I do that regularly.

I have a White MacBook, 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa, 4 GB RAM.

I'm going to give the Combo Update a try sometime this weekend. Things seemed to have calmed down, but I want to make sure that none of these problems come back. Weird......

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll update with the results.

EDIT: I reinstalled 10.5.8 with the combo update. Things seem to be stable. Nothing weird has been going on. Thanks again

7. CraigJ macrumors member

10.5.8 changed the name of my MacBook

I have the late 2008 unibody MacBook, 2.4

Before the update my mac was named Craig's MacBook, now it's named Craig's MacBook (2).

This isn't a huge deal, but it is really annoying. Any idea why this happened? Can I change it back without a complete reinstall?

Other than that I've not had any issues with 10.5.8

8. tekio macrumors regular

You can change the name in system preferences, it's under sharing. No need for a complete reinstall.

9. CraigJ macrumors member

OK, now I feel pretty stupid. Thanks.

*edit* I mean, thanks for the help, not thanks for making me feel stupid...