My MacBook... I HATE IT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paul Wright, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

So Look, im 16 and i dont really know what to do next.
    Firstly before i go on i had this post deleted from the apple forums, and i think its outragious how you can't express problems, but anyway

I bought my macbook, well got it for christmas and...

In the first few weeks Airport packed up, and the LCD was of poor quality.
    Later on my casing started to crack, so thus the bottom case and keyboard was replaced under warranty, so 4 in total, now im just out of warranty, but on the apple site it says i have a "custom coverage", well anyway one of the keys the"?/" key has started clicking... im 16 and come on... i have more important things to be concentrating on at this time of the year, and not my computer, i've had enough, its over a year warranty... but this custom coverage which no one knows what it is, is covering it at the moment, what should i do guys? I hope you will be more cooperative than deleting this but i really want a mac that doesnt F*** up on me, i've been F***ed around enough and i dont know what to do.

Paul

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Perhaps it's bad karma.

I've had 11 Macs in the last 15 years and the only one that failed on me was a Power Mac G4 (power supply died after 6 years). All four of my laptops are still working, including a G3 iBook.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Oddly enough, you'll probably have better luck getting it fixed/replaced by calling Apple, rather than posting here.

Good luck.

4. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Complain a lot and keep getting it replaced until you get an acceptable one, you shouldn't have to settle for second-best.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If I were in your position (out of warranty with a defective Macbook), I wouldn't waste any more time with Apple. I'd sell it and use the money to buy a PC notebook. People pay lots for Apple products (even broken ones), and you could likely buy a brand new, up-to-date PC notebook with the money from selling the Macbook. It depends on how wedded you are to OS X. Alternatively, you could put the money toward a new MB, but in your position, I don't think I would. If I did, it would definitely be a refurbished one, to minimize chances of receiving another defective product.

6. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well if it's having that many problems, it could be a lemon. Demand a replacement...

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Do you live near an Apple Store? If you do, you'd be better off taking it to the Apple Store and explain the problem. Apple generally have an excellent customer service so they should help.

Of course, the clicking could just be down to having something stuck under the key (such as a bread crumb, etc).

I'd try and resolve this with apple as soon as possible because as you say, no one knows what the custom cover is and it could expire at any time.

It's worth calling Apple. As I say, their customer support is excellent.

8. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Thanks

i would love to reply to all your comments individually but it would take me so long but thank-you for replying, i think i might go in and demand a replacement or if i get it repaired free and they wont give me a replacement i will go sell the thing.

Paul

9. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Oh By the way guys i live in Germany and we only have Apple Reseller Stores.

10. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

11. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

i live 45 mins from my local reseller so 1.5 hours i waste + fuel to go and get something sorted out. They dont understand how much of a pain it is... tomorrow i dont care... i will get something done.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

BTW, you'll get a lot better service if you go in and show them the problem and let them suggest a solution than if you walk in a demand a replacement (which isn't likely to happen, not until you've had it repaired three times at least). Warranties cover this kind of stuff, but it's a repair warranty, not replacement (at least not unless the problems persist or are all-encompassing, which is their decision not yours). Don't go in with an attitude or you're likely to get very poor service.

jW

13. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

True i would and im going to show them the problems and tell them all that ive had. and try to get something done anyway.

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Where are you in Germany? I had my 1.83Cd MBP, repaired at the reseller in Bielefeld took them 3 days turn around. They were really helpful and great actually, especially when I explained I had opened the machine to be nosey and blown the logic board.

15. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

woah, thats the reseller i go to, im in bad salzuflen about 45 mins from bielefeld ive had alot repaired there :) their service is great but if they will understand all my issues, thats a different issue

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

A small world, I know bad salzuflen well, I would try and talk to them again and ask them to speak to apple on your behalf. Or you have cancom in hannover which are good also.

17. razyorv macrumors member

So you have a single key clicking...

If I were you, I'd just pry that key off, see if something's stuck and reseat it. Once my Macbook keyboard and went bad, I was out of warranty; I just replaced it buying a cheap replacement. (beats the price of gas to go over to a store) I've never gone to Apple to fix my problems, I just do them all myself. If you can't fix a cracked radiator, don't get a car.

18. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I don't know how to fix a cracked radiator. Do you think I should sell my car?

My Dad wouldn't know how to fix his Mac keyboard either. I now feel really bad about encouraging him to get a Mac. He loves it but now I wish I'd have recommended an etch-a-sketch.

FFS.

SL

19. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I just fixed my cracked radiator last week, so i'm qualified to respond: :D

-Pop the key off (instructions available on Apple's website, or just use Google)
    -Clean underneath it and figure out what is clicking
    -Resolve if possible

If unable to fix the key, buy an external keyboard. Otherwise, just sell the laptop and buy a new one (Mac, Dell, whatever you'd be happy with).

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

that is just about the worst analogy i've ever heard.

to the OP, demand a new macbook. I think you're over the 3 strike limit. :)

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yup. Here's more of that Apple psychosis I was referring to in the "condensation" thread in the iMac forum.

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I hope this doesn't sound rude, but maybe having one of your parents bring it in would get you better results. I know at least where I live in the United States, sales and service people can treat a 16 year-old much worse than an adult.

23. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

It sounds like you got a lemon. I wouldn't let the issue of one faulty product put you off Apple for good.