My macbook is 198 F! WOW THAT IS HOT!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 20, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

When I rip DVD's, CPU A gets to 90/91 C, like 198 or so F!! Is that normal!? holy ****.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

That is quite hot. Is this without fans running or what?

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

No, the fans are running I think. (And, I meant RIPPING DVD's, not bruning) The Macbook is on the default settings from Apple, so yeah I'm sure the fans are going.

What do I do?

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

5. JWest macrumors 6502

The fans always run, just not at full speed unless under full load. ;)
    This is quite hot, and although hotter temps are expected for dvd ripping, this sounds like grounds for a return. That's just too hot for any computer to get.

6. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

7. spencer4higher macrumors newbie

Crank that fan up.

Well I had the same problem (usually burning, playing or converting video files) when i first got my macbook pro in August. Hot as hell. I had an initial list of things that upset me about the change from pc to mac and the fan was one of em... Luckily I found a sweet lil fan adjuster. As most of you know the default fan speed is slow as a snail... 2000rpms i believe. I found a download for SMC fan control. Its super sweet. I have mine fans now maxed at 6000rpm's, dropped my temp 40degrees within 2 or 3 mins. Whats really sweet is that if you are running on battery power you can set your fans to run slower (so they don't eat up the juice) I have had some people tell me that if you run the fans to fast they may die sooner, my response...I'd rather pay $20 for a fan in a few years instead of frying my machine.

SMC Fan Control Download
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Hope this helps

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have seen the same temps :eek:with my MBP when doing a lot of heavy video editing. I now use smc fan control. It helps a lot with the high temps.:D

9. peterjun macrumors member

my mbp goes real high too when video editing with the 7200 rpm drive. I got the iLap to make sure I dont burn my knees...

10. chelsel macrumors 6502

any proof the high temps are cause for worry in the first place?