My Macbook is a hard-drive killer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Romainf, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Romainf macrumors member

I bought my Macbook about 2 years ago (1st Gen) and the first hard drive died last November (just over a year after i got it), so i replaced it and now the hard drive died again, doing that horrible clicking sound, now i can't even boot the notebook and get the flashing question mark folder.

Could my macbook be faulty? or was i just very unlucky?
    I don't know if i should just get a new HD or have it checked.

2. asme macrumors regular

3. Romainf thread starter macrumors member

LOL, yes i did.... and i guess that was the wrong choice then!!

4. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

*Phew, System Profiler says I have a Seagate and not a Deathstar! :D

5. Romainf thread starter macrumors member

ok, i just ordered a new HD, i went for WD this time (please don't tell me now that it is crap!!!).

I have another question now, I've lost my leopard dvd, and can only find my old install disk for Tiger, can i reinstall everything directly from my time machine back-up or am i f@*%ked?

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nope you will need your Leopard DVD to access the Time Machine backup....Try and borrow one from a friend or something..... Western Digital are pretty good HD's in my experience.

ShadoW

7. applepalace.com macrumors newbie

Maybe not related to the topic but its just an advice from the techs. Dont but a 7200 RPM HDD if you dealing with music, video or downloading lots of music or video.

I saw people killing 1 HDD every year. 7200 RPM HDDs are not good unless they are a 3.5 inch desktop HDD. Western Digital is good but for fast harddrives keep backing up your data when your warranty is finished.

Have nice day