My MacBook is doomed...help please?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notaznguy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. notaznguy, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

notaznguy macrumors member

Okay, I'm really pissed off right now. Last night, I was trying to clean my Macbook with a Mr. Magic Eraser, and I've done it a billion times before and it's worked fine. However, I think I was a bit careless yesterday and when cleaning the keypad, I got a bit too much moisture around it and some liquid seeped in. I let the computer dry for a few hours, and when I thought it was good to go, I turned it on, and it turned on for a good 5 seconds before suddenly shutting off. Since then, it will not turn on and the charger only has a dim green light on it whenever I plug it in now.

I'm guessing some parts of it are fried and the computer is toast. Unfortunately, being the idiot that I am, I didn't back up any of my data, so I have a lot of pictures and music in there. I'm going to take it to the Apple store later today, but does anyone know if this is repairable? And if so, how much will it cost? This is a old 2008 White Macbook...

Also, as an alternative, is there any way I can simply just retrieve the data from my hard drive? I'm okay with buying a new computer, I just want the data. I've read that I can just use a External Data Enclosure? I'm not familiar with this though...will need to do some research...

If it were up to me, I'd just get a new computer, but I was really stupid and lazy to back up my data...argh....

2. mwhities, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

mwhities macrumors 6502a

Not sure of the pricing of the repairs but, all of your data on your hard drive (should be) safe. As long as the "oops" didn't mess with the hard drive (sounds like the logic board might be dead), it's self.

If you have another Mac, you can add the current drive to an external enclosure and retrieve the data or use one of those adapters (no enclosure) and copy the data to another system.

EDIT: I figure if you are okay with getting a new system, I'd do that. I did a search for a new logicboard for a 2009 mac mini and it was around 450 just for the board. I assume your's would be about the same. I'd rather add a few 100 to that and get a new system with AC.

Get the new system, remove your hdd out of the laptop, add it into an enclosure, and plug it into the new system. Pull up Finder and you will have access to all of you data on that drive.

3. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've been reading about just getting an External Hard Drive Enclosure. That sounds great, and I'm okay with buying a new macbook and I was going to get one eventually (although I was planning on getting it later this year than earlier, oh well).

I think the HD is fine. Like I said, I stupidly used the Magic Eraser and I believe moisture/liquid seeped into the keyboards. I turned the Macbook on, and it did boot, and then 5 seconds later, it immediately shut off.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I had a MacBook of the same vintage that I toasted while cleaning it when it was just slightly over a year old. I found a place (advertised on EBAY) that fixed the computer for about $200. My daughter has the system now and it still works.

You can, as pointed out, pull the drive and put it in an external case to transfer everything to a new system, if you go that route.

And, in any case, hopefully you have learned to make backups! Next time it could be a drive failure rather than (probably) the logic board.

5. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

I still just can't believe this just happened. I've been cleaning my Macbook for 4.5 years with the Magic Eraser and it was always fine. This time, I didn't dry it enough or I applied to much pressure and the damn thing blows up.

I can't believe the laptop is nothing more than a plastic brick. What irritates me the most was the fact that I was trying to HELP my laptop. It's not like I spilled something on it or dropped it. Good grief.

6. Byzanti macrumors newbie

In the future consider using Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning. It's non conductive...