My Macbook is falling apart.. (with pictures)

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I have been searching around for this topic, but it seems like this is another kind of "falling apart". I don't have warranty, I bought this in the US and I live in Denmark.. therefore, I can't get it fixed here.
This is a late 2008 model.

It started with the hinge being loose - which I found was normal for this model of the Pro - and I wanted to get that fixed, but never really got the tools ordered. So this has come gradually.. the hinge became more and more loose, and all of a sudden, one day, it looked like my screen was falling off my macbook. I am pretty sure the hinge is like non existent now!
The only way I can use my macbook is by having the screen at a 90 degree angle, with something that supports the screen - or else it just looks like this.. Here are some photos:

I have been taking very good care of my computer and it hasn't suffered falls. It pains me to see this. :(

Help, please?
Caroline

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
That can't happen unless you've misused it ... the hinge can't just break off like that :eek:

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
I have been taking very good care of my computer and it hasn't suffered falls. It pains me to see this. :(

Help, please?
Caroline
there is a dent in one of your pictures....but yeah it may be just cheaper to replace it with a refurb model or buy a new

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
there is a dent in one of your pictures....but yeah it may be just cheaper to replace it with a refurb model or buy a new
I bought it used this summer, and it came with this dent.
The loose hinge problem started only two months ago.

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
That can't happen unless you've misused it ... the hinge can't just break off like that :eek:
I read that the loose hinge is common in late '08 models. I believe this has happened because I have kept using it with a loose hinge for two months and it eventually broke.

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Why would you buy a used MBP, or any piece of electronics for that matter, that has a dent in it? :confused:
Because I bought it for 1000 bucks where as in Denmark they were 3000 at that time. I don't have that kind of money laying around.

Kalach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Put it out of it's misery and sell the individual parts on ebay.

Buy a new one... looking at those pictures was painful! :(

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My opinion? Unless you enjoy "do it yourself" jobs, and are pretty handy, it isn't worth fixing
You can find parts and videos to help you rebuild it, but I wouldn't bother

gox81

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
best option is to get a refurb.., I think you were too naive to listen to the guy who wanted to sell...dents are common in the late 2008 models?
good luck.

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
My opinion? Unless you enjoy "do it yourself" jobs, and are pretty handy, it isn't worth fixing
You can find parts and videos to help you rebuild it, but I wouldn't bother
Let me repeat I don't have 2000 dollars laying around for this.
I made this thread for people to maybe repost some videos they have seen fixing something like this, and yes, I am rather handy.

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
best option is to get a refurb.., I think you were too naive to listen to the guy who wanted to sell...dents are common in the late 2008 models?
good luck.
Loose hinges are. I think a dent is worth 2000 dollars out of my pocket.

saaborac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
im sorry but is this a joke?
the first picture shows your issue theres a giant dent on the screen that pushed it inward which would have separated the screen. so i dont know what your asking of us but i see scratches and dents on that machine so it might not have fallen :rolleyes: but this machine was not taken care of......

if your going to repair your going to need an enitrely new housing and lid and hinge.
I repeat again, this dent was present 6 months before there was any problem with the screen.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
If you were so "handy" you would have been smart enough to not snap the front of the screen in half. Looking at the pictures the hinge looks fine...you just snapped the screen off of the hinge because instead of moving the hinge you were pulling on the top of the screen when you knew it was loose.

ZombieZakk

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I repeat again, this dent was present 6 months before there was any problem with the screen.
maybe so but it was still the cause without any doubt in my mind that is the cause this computer was severly abused before you bought it. the dent should have been the first clue.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Regardless of the dent or it being "common" to have a hinge problem, the bottom line is you have a severely damaged computer

In order to fix it, as stated by others, you will need a lot of expensive parts and a fair amount of expertise

ifixit.com will help you to decide I'm sure

But if it were me, I would take whatever money I would spend on fixing this and invest it in another computer, even if it was older and less powerful

Your asking for help and opinions... this is mine