My macbook is freezing in the setup assistant for a new mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cam232152, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Cam232152 macrumors newbie

I was having trouble with my admin thingy the computer kept saying i didnt have enough access privileges since i just purchased it off craigslist i figured the guy i bought it from had the privileges so i figured how to change me to the account admin by using /sbin/mount -uw / in the comand+s area then i typed
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and everthing was fine for a while but when i dowladed onyx it keep asking me for a password and it said it was incorrect and the whole privileges thing again so i was going to do it again to see if it would work and i did it again and it didnt so i said forget it then the next time i turned on my computer i had this earth looking thing and it was taking my computer forever to boot up so i thought it had somthing to do with my admin so i shut the computer off while the earth was still working away and mounted the drive and did that whole thing again and now right around how do you connect part it freezes and will not do anything i got rid of the earth thing by holding option dwn at start up and selecting the drive but seriously im going crazy I need to fix this can anybody help i tried Command+Q before the how do you connect but it tells me i have to keep going or shutdown if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou. Cam

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Call the guy for admin password.

Let me guess, you got it this way. (probably stolen if yes)
    No system disks
    No box
    No receipt
    No admin password
    Only the laptop and charger?

3. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think so he just gave me the macbook charger and case his name was the same as the owner though so i dont think so.

I just need to figure out how to bypass the setup assistant totally or figure out some way to get it to stop freezing please help me.
    Thankyou Cam

4. MrM macrumors 6502

5. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

No nothing all i have is the computer and charger.

please anyone i just want it to go back to normal is there anything that I can do in Command+s.
    Thankyou Cam

6. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Need to reverse rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

I mounted the drive and typed rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone in single user mode to become the admin and now my macbook freezes in the how do you connect part of the setup i have tried command+q i tried this

mount -uaw /
    cd /var/db
    echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>' > .AppleSetupDone
    echo '<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">' >> .AppleSetupDone
    echo '<plist version="1.0">' >> .AppleSetupDone
    echo '<dict/>' >> .AppleSetupDone
    echo '</plist>' >> .AppleSetupDone

This was posted in another blog it got past the setup thing but now just goes black then to a blue screen that just continues to try to load but stays blue.

I dont know and im lost when anyone care to help thankyou I would greatly appreciate it Cam.

7. MrM macrumors 6502

Go get a retail copy of leopard. Reinstall the OS. It will fix your problem. The "command S" you are referring to is called booting in Single User mode. I wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. (and it sounds like you don't). I don't know how or why you would use that to fix your problem, anyway.

8. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any way to do it without buying somthing?

9. MrM macrumors 6502

You need a copy of a bootable system. So unless you can find one in the gutter, no.

10. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if my friend has a mac but hers is store baught and has all the stuff would she have the cds i need.

11. MrM macrumors 6502

I'm not your friend, so I don't know what she has. As I said already, get a retail copy of Leopard.

12. Cam232152 thread starter macrumors newbie

you know what I mean does the cd i need come with a store baught mac.

13. thomasp macrumors 6502a

No. The grey disks are machine-specific and will only work on very specific models of Mac. You'll need the retail box which is a black disk with a big "X" on it (I believe).

14. GMACUK macrumors newbie

Hey, I really would take the advice of the previous posters and either bite the bullet and buy a copy of OSX or ask the seller for the necessary password(s). If you don't mind me asking, what model Macbook did you buy and how much?

15. animaxcg macrumors regular

command s

fsck -fy

mount -uw /
    "launchahctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist"

dscl . -passwd /users/(username)
    password

reboot

i think