My MacBook is having a slooooow down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Buschmaster, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

So the past couple days my MacBook running an up-to-date Leopard has been getting slower and slower the past couple days. Even to the point where it's becoming unusable. I'm not running big programs, just Safari, iChat, and Mail right now and yet it's acting like I'm running the entire Adobe suite at once...

I noticed that kernel_task is taking up a good chunk of resources... But thought I'd check to see if anyone else was having this problem before I tried to fix anything else...

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Have you restarted recently?
    Fixes a few issues I run into that you describe.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

try a restart!

ram could be getting to full...

never got this on my BMB!

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Are you running low on disk space?

By a fair chunk what do you mean, my kernel_task is currently using 80MB ram and ~2GB VM with a about 5% CPU use.

Did you install any of the updates recently?

have you tried rebooting?

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I would do a restart at least once a day, and check your HD because all computers need free HD space to run smoothly.

6. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I'm not running to low on disk space. I have 40GB left and that's about 1/3rd of my disk space.

An interesting thing is that I went to restart it hoping that would resolve some issues and it still is trying to restart 15 minutes later. Its just my desktop showing and the spining wheel. If it is still like that when I get back from lunch what should I do?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MBP, iMac, PowerMac, usually runs 30 days at a time before rebooting, no perceivable slow down. daily reboot not necessary in my case.

Open Activity Monitor, quit any process that takes up >10% CPU.

8. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

After having to do a hard shut down (Holding down the power button until it turned off) I turned it back on and before even logging in did another restart. This one went smoothly and so far so good. I'll be keeping an eye on if anything happens and what programs I opened before the big slow down.

So far so good after the restart, but it had happened since a restart before, too, so we'll see what happens...

9. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I noticed a slow down as well on my MBP CD. I upgraded from tiger so I decided to clean install leopard...not a good idea. Now I have keyboard and trackpad issues..