My Macbook is laughing at me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mclachlan95, Jun 5, 2010.

1. mclachlan95 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, sorry if I have posted in this in the wrong place, but I have a problem.
    I bought a second hand macbook a few months ago, and I have a very weird problem. If I have the volume turned up on my macbook, every now and then my Mac literally starts making a laughing sound.
    I have looked around the internet briefly and couldnt seem to find a solution, so I have came here to look for answers. Any help would be appreciated:D
    Thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you trigger that laughing sound or maybe even record it?
    Where does it come from? The speakers or the bottom right or the middle of the computer? Could it be the fan spinning?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Are you funny lookin'? :p

There's an explanation for everything. This is slightly strange, but it's got to be happening for a reason. Are there any particular websites you're visiting when it happens? What about on your Dashboard — are there any widgets that you might have that could be causing it? Any applications that you have open when it makes the sound?

And what does it sound like? Is it the same laugh each time, or is it different occasionally? Does it happen at the same time of day? Try to see when it happens and take note of what you're doing at the time. This will help narrow down when and where it occurs, hopefully giving us more info in what might be causing it.

4. mclachlan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your questions. It happens without warning, every one or two hours, and as it lasts for 3 or 4 seconds, it is very hard to 'trap' and record. The sound actually comes from the speakers, it is just a normal sound. For example, say you went onto Youtube and listened to, I dont know, a video of a crazy guy laughing:p, it is like that, something you hear in a music or video. It is definitely not a fan spinning.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

System Preferences > Speech > Text to Speech > System Voice, is it set to "Hysterical"?

Because that's the only thing I can think of. If you could film this, it would be great in helping us figure it out.

6. mclachlan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments.
    This happens every time when I boot it up and start browsing the internet and stuff. I have looked at the programs I have had open and force quit everything that I did have and the problem kept on persisting. I have tried clearing my history, cookies, cache off of Chrome (the only web browser I use) and it didnt stop:confused: It is not a big problem, it doesnt affect the performance in any way, its just a little annoyance I am having. I googled 'Mac laughing virus' and a few surprising results came up of other discussions.

Hi, no it is set to 'Alex'.
    Yeh it is very hard to get it, I have tried before but to no avail.
    Thanks

Sorry, but I have had a look and the changed the speech to text from Alex to Hysterical and that is the sound I keep on hearing, although I dont have it set?
    Am I missing something here?

7. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

When you bought the Mac, did you reformat-reinstall OSX, or did you just keep going with the install already on the system?

8. mclachlan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, well it didnt come with the OSX install discs and all that, so no, I just kept on going with the install that came with it.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sounds like someone who sold you the mac has left a little practical joke.

It is possible to set something like this up by having a program set to launch on boot that runs periodically that will play the laughing sound.

Have a look in System Preferences - Accounts - Your Account name - Login Items

Is there anything odd looking, post the items listed there.

Do you have another user account on your mac? If so does the sound appear when using that account? If you don't have a second account try creating one via System Preferences - Accounts then the plus icon on the lefthand side.

It is also possible if they are a bit more computer savy to hide it in a System/User Daemons but we will look at the easy options first.

10. mclachlan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your comments.
    I just followed your instructions and had a quick look into Login Items, and I have iTunesHelper, Skype, but this was the odd thing: SpeechSynthesisServer.
    I dont have a second account, and I will have a look in System thing in a moment.

11. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

:apple:->System Preferences->Date & Time-> ... is "Announce the Time" checked?

12. Heltik macrumors 6502

There used to be a programme called Conan the Librarian that did a similar thing, but was triggered by microphone input!! I believe they're called TSRs - Terminate and Stay Resident?

Do you have another mac without this affliction but that has a similar install - if so you might try checking the difference between the processes that are running in Activity Monitor and see if anything stands out that you don't recognise.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Try doing that then restart the mac, check the list to see if it's still in there. If it's gone from the list, and you don't hear the laughing again, hopefully it's solved.

By the way, does it sound something like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/158723/Mac hystyerical voice.mp3

14. mclachlan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I think you have figured it out! :D It was ticked to announce the time on the hour and the voice was hysterical, so I think that this is the source of my problem. I'll see how it goes, but I think you have fixed it!

15. Mrsbatch macrumors newbie

Laughing MacBook pro

Hi did you solve this? I have a brand new MacBook pro ten days old
    Doing the same thing!

16. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried this?

lilcosco08, yep, that's why everyone posting in this thread after it has been resurrected should only comment on its age and provide no other input.