My Macbook is WINDOWS SLOW!!! Time to Reformatt??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fordman10, Nov 14, 2008.

1. fordman10 macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook for two years and for the past few months it has been getting increasingly slower. I do have Leopard, but I installed early in the year, so it is not the new OS X.

When I was a windows guy, I would have to reformat the operating system yearly to keep windows functioning. I didn't think you would have to do it on a Mac, but this is getting painfully slow. When utilizing spaces and expose there is a noticeable chop. Opening up word documents becomes a chore in and of itself.

Do mac's need to be wiped out and started fresh again like windows? The macbook is the 2.0 ghz intel core duo.

Help please!!!

2. jsonli macrumors member

Even in Windows you don't need periodically reformat as long as you keep an eye out on what gets installed and what's running in the background.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I do find that a fresh OS in mac runs snappier, but I wouldn't use the term 'need' to reinstall OS X regularly like in Windows.

Before you take this route, did you look into some maintenance softwares; like Oynx and Cocktail. Google Mac tune up for more. They may be all your Mac needs.

4. fordman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oynx definitely gave my computer a swift kick in the ***....;) Thanks for the recommendation; it looks like a reformat will not be needed! Gotta love the Mac's

5. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

kinda off topic but a good deframenter would have kept your windows pc running smothly. Also like others mentioned good maintenance software to keep files in check should help with the mac

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86