My Macbook just ate itself (again). Trim related?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ch02ce, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ch02ce macrumors member

Really not sure what is happening here. Two days in a row now since installing 10.7.2 my macbook has gone haywire.

It happens after Word 2011 tries to autosave a file and says it can't because of an "unrecoverable disk error". CPU use then shoots to 100% for word. But force-quitting word causes syslogd to go to 100%, and a quick check of the console reviews the system is choking while performing the actions in the image attached.

Shutting the system down stops the problem, but now the disk has a number of errors in disk utility that cannot be repaired.

The first time this happened I had to wipe the drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Lion, though I restored my personal files through a TM backup.

My two thoughts are that the bug is related to Word as it happened editing the same file both times, or it is from TRIM enabler because it was present on the system until 10.7.2 disabled it.

Anyways, fun times here. I will have to embark on a total clean install tonight, leaving trim off and manually importing only my personal documents.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. ch02ce thread starter macrumors member

Well it is still happening. Word seems to love destroying my files since 10.7.2.

I can open a report, make one change, and try to save it, then the prompt in the image attached pops up.

Word can't save the file, and all that is left of the original document is a .tmp file that cannot be opened.

If Word tries to autosave the file after the set 10 minute interval, thats what sets off the process mentioned in my first post.

Its driving me ***** insane, losing a ton of work over the past few days.

It has to be a hardware problem, but everything but Word is working fine. The only thing that isn't stock is my Intel 320 SSD.

3. ch02ce, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

ch02ce thread starter macrumors member

Whoops here is the image Screen Shot 2011-10-20 at 3.02.15 PM.png

Going into the terminal and seeing what is using the document reports that only Word is. Pretty messed up.

Just to clarify, TRIM is no longer on the system at all, and I just ran a TechTool surface scan of the drive and it came back A-OK.

The suspect Word files also open and save perfectly on my iMac with the same OS/Office, but with a 500gb traditional drive.