My Macbook Pro 13" has a noisy HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JS82189, Mar 5, 2010.

1. JS82189 macrumors regular

Ok heres a small history on my hardrive(s):

I got the laptop in the summer, and it worked flawlessly. When I moved to my Dad's I was playing WoW in a pretty hot room (you would break a sweat, but I did have the fan on [me not the laptop usually]), and my mac kept shutting down. It was ok for simple apps, but WoW really overloaded it frequently.

Eventually, maybe first week of september my hard drive totally failed, so I took it to :apple: and they replaced the hard-drive.

Current Issue:

Now I am in a basement room, and it is frequentl really cold down here when i turn off the space-heater (or else it gets way too hot under my blankets).

We had a power outage that lasted a few days during a huge NE US blizzard.. I turned my laptop on (keep in mind it is REALLY cold in my room), and the hard-drive made this really loud clicking noise.. this eventually subdued as I used the laptop (it warmed up?)... but ever since my laptop makes a clicking noise (it also has a low hum/low-rapid click noise when i use it)...

My laptop is often taken out of a cold environmnet, (sitting in my car during my art class + 1 hour then for my other classes) and when I initially take out my laptop the aluminum casing is COLD.

Question:

Did the extreme cold cause this? Is the frequent contact with chill temperatures causing this? And should I be concerned/ get a new HD?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmm, it shouldn't do. Are you using the computer at an angle? Because sometimes when you do that the HDD scrapes on something... When I use my 13" MBP on 10C winter mornings the HDD is fine:confused:

3. cswee10582 macrumors newbie

My GF has an Aluminum MB from early '09 and it too makes a clicking sound with the hard drive every 3-5 minutes...we did some research and think that it could be a failing head on the read/write mechanism...

She's like 2 weeks out of warranty, but has everything backed up so she should be OK if it does die on her.

Chris

What does anyone else think of the noisy HDD?

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

After experiencing the same storm, my laptop was freezing when I first turned it on afterwards. It is fine now, and I would recommend bringing it to an apple store if it does not go away.

5. zipa macrumors 65816

Whenever a HDD starts making "unusual" noises, it's time to make sure that your backups are up to date.

6. rl2k05 macrumors newbie

Just upgraded mine to the WD Blue 500GB 5200 rpm. Its quiet as a church mouse!

7. kap09 macrumors 6502

My scorpio blue is also very quiet. Highly recommended.

That said, OP - backup and return the machine for service asap. No sense in waiting for it to fail.

8. JS82189 thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I was expecting.. apple is really failing on HD here..

9. kap09 macrumors 6502

sad, but true.

my mbp is in for repairs (display, logic board) and i had a lengthy chat with an applecare rep who seemed to think my disk would be replaced by default due to an ongoing hd issue.