My MacBook Pro 15 inch 2016 Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulreaver99, Dec 30, 2016.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I'm a business professional but I'm not a professional YouTuber. Please excuse the whack audio on some of the voice overs. I need a new mic.

Short version of the video - MacBook Pro 2016 is good overall. Just expensive and battery life's mediocre. USB-C / TB3 is the future! :)

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

You'll never see people agree or be completely happy about the battery life of any device or gadget. That discourse has been going on ever since the battery was invented. Enjoy being productive!

3. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Well the expectations Apple was set was up to 10 hours. They usually nail the battery estimates. For some reason the 15 inch pro doesn't come close. Thankfully, you can always use a battery pack to charge in a pinch :)

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Yes, but this is what people forget.

Those numbers are arrived by using very conservative usage, no notifications, no social media. It wouldn't be possible for any company to have those things set up for battery tests because of the unpredictable nature of social media usage among different users.

It was easier to give accurate numbers back when social media wasn't integrated into operating systems.

5. guy_mac Suspended

The '16's are beta's. They are a harbinger of good things to come.

Don't expect great battery life in the future though. Apple laptops will get thinner and smaller and battery life will become increasingly compromised. That's just the reality of the situation.

The ntb will be the only model available with VG to excellent battery life. The other models will only net you 5-7 hours.

Everyone should know the score by now: apple laptops are all about portability over functionality, at an enormous price premium.

It's too bad the mba's and rmbp's spoiled us so badly with phenomenal battery life; now that apple is falling back in line with the industry average, everyone's upset, including yours truly.

6. AZ Jack macrumors newbie

Thanks for this review. Very nicely done and one of the best I have seen so far. As painful as it may be for me, I think I will wait for the next design refresh before upgrading my 2013 13" rMBP.

7. jashic01 macrumors newbie

To the fanboy above who said that we shouldn't expect battery life as estimated. BS. Every laptop from Apple in the last 8 years has given me close to estimated amount. Why the change on this recent MBP? It's because they pumped it for marketing purposes by going conservative. It's dishonest at worst, manipulative marketing at best.

8. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Great point. I remember when Apple claimed 12 hour battery life on the MacBook Air, it actually got 12 hours or at least close to it regardless of what browser you used, brightness setting didn't have to be at the lowest and none of that other BS to make it unusable.

But then again, Microsoft pulled the same crap by claiming 12 hour battery life on the Surfacebook where it "only" hit 8-9 hours at best ;)