My Macbook Pro (2010) shut off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bowadoyle, Jun 7, 2012.

1. bowadoyle macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am sort of a newbie with having mac issues. I've had mac for close to 11 years and can count on one hand the issues I have had.

Ok,

I purchased this 2010 13" MBP a few months ago from Apple. A few weeks ago when I got into using it, it it froze on me for about 30 seconds twice in a session. So I thought it had to do with the poser save settings so I adjusted them so it would not go to sleep.

Well tonight, I walked away to take the dog out. I cam back in and my mac was shut down. It took me a bit to get it to go back on. I think I figured out how to keep my finger on the on/off button for 30 seasons for a force shut down. Then I turned it back on.

So what can I do now? Is there an error log I should look at? Should I take it to an Apple store?

Of course, I still have the Apple care coverage and I do plan to extend it before it expires.

Thank,

Patrick

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What were you running on it? I think it might have been something processor intensive that is causing temperature protection to flip.

Run activity monitor and try to replicate the conditions. It may have just been a fluke freeze up though.

3. bowadoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

I was running Excel 2010.

The only program I use with this laptop, because I use it for school, is Microsoft Office 2010.

4. bowadoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

I also only use this laptop when it is plugged in. Is there a log which prints the error message much like you see with Microsoft Windows?

Thank you.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That would be helpful.

6. bowadoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I am back to using my Dell until I figure out what to do. I may have to take it to the Apple store near me and let them look at it. In the 11 years I have own Apples, I only had two other issues, one is where the Ram went bad and my Mac Mini over heated and I had a 1st Edition Macbook discolor. In both case, Apple fixed the problem for me.

7. bowadoyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there Apple forums that offer tech support?

8. Mak47 macrumors 6502a