My Macbook Pro 2011 is running much more slower, any fixes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmycheckers, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jimmycheckers macrumors newbie

My finder is just running incredibly slow. I use it for Premiere Pro, video editing. I understand this is using a lot of processing power but it was never this bad. I would click on finder and it would take sometimes several minutes just to move to the next highlighted file. It's getting ridiculous. I have installed 2tb of storage and currently have 538gb free. My friend suggested maybe having 400 gb of stuff is slowing it down? I have been cleaning it up so far, but I never had this problem before with 400 gb of stuff. Could it be an update that is making it slower, maybe there is a cache building up that I should clear? I'm not sure. I also have it on windows save for web browers, so when I quit it saves the window, is that a potential problem?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

First thing to do is run Activity Monitor while performing your normal tasks. This will help you determine where the problems are. Check memory pressure and cpu utilization.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Have you tried running repair disk and disk permissions in disk utility, if not do that first it may well sort out the problems. Of course it could just be a failing HDD they can and do slow down tremendously as they start to fail.

4. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Sounds very much like the HDD is failing.