My Macbook Pro and LAG problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgerice, Nov 30, 2014.

1. georgerice macrumors newbie

Good evening Mac lovers,

I have a macbook pro since 2009. I run the new OSX Yosemite. My macbook lags ALOT for about a year. I have NO games and NO useless apps. About 30 of 160GB are free. I recently bought Panda antivirus for mac and i scanned the whole system. No virus etc. found! It lags everywhere.When i open pages, chrome etc. It even lags when i increase/decrease the volume and the screen light. Is there anything i can do to make my machine faster? I know that it cannot be as fast as it was in 2009. Or i have to get used to the idea that my macbook pro got older and there is nothing i can do?

Thank you,
    George

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Open activity monitor and see what is driving the slowness.
    Normally Safari with Adobe Flash is lagging, check if you have te latest version installed.
    Are you running TimeMachine? How are you connecting to the web?
    Things you can do to speed up your Mac are to get an SSD drive, do a clean fresh install of Mac OS X with it. Maximize the RAM. And run only apps that you really need. Avoid background processes like antivirus and Time Machine via wireless while using it.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is what you do:

1. Make a Time Machine Backup and copy all your data onto another disk separately
    2. Reset Pram
    3. Repair disk permissions
    4. Reboot into recovery and reinstall Yosemite
    5. Do not restore from Time Machine backup after the reinstallation or copy any other data
    6. Report back to this thread and tell us if your system still lags without any apps or data present

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If you have 2GB RAM then that is your problem. Upgrade to 4GB at least.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

You know nothing about the OPs system. Please stop making statements like that.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

And he never said he did. But what he wrote was true. Please stop making statements like that.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If OP has only 2GB RAM then his system would be very slow whether he does a lot or does nothing at all. I know this because I am using Yosemite with 2GB RAM until I get more. I'm not saying he does have only 2GB, I am saying IF he has 2GB. Over time as you upgrade the OS, it needs more and more RAM, and eventually you may hit the limit. Snow Leopard is much faster on 2GB RAM than Mavericks/Yosemite.
    And what do you mean by "Please stop making statements like that" when I have only made one statement like that?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

What he wrote is not true.

----------

The :apple:store around the corner still runs macbooks with 2gb and they do not lag. What you wrote is simply false.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Those Macs with 2GB RAM have SSDs which make them faster. If you have a cMBP with spinning hard disk, Mavericks/Yosemite is very slow. I notice my hard disk constantly flicking back and forth. I'm not sure what it does but it doesn't seem to be the swap.