My Macbook Pro Battery - Is it near dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sadesh, Apr 1, 2010.

1. sadesh macrumors newbie

I bought non-unibody mbp in Oct 2008. During the last few weeks, the battery started loosing its capacity. So, I did the calibration of the battery as mentioned in Apple website. Didn't help.

I installed Coconut battery to check its true capacity. Here is the screenshot,

[​IMG]

I don't have an applecare protection as it past one year. Alternatively, I have extended warranty with my MBNA Platinum card. Should I contact Apple? Is this part will be replaced by Apple? Or, should I go through the long procedure of MBNA extended warranty process?

Thank you for your comments :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get the battery replaced. Batteries die after a while, you know.

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I have replace my battery every 1.5 years. I get about 250-350 cycles out of it. I find it odd that yours died after 34 cycles. Since it's out of warrantee, you'll have to buy a replacement. eBay sells them between $50-$70. Cheers!

4. sadesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. Is it covered under warranty? My MBP is still covered with my extended warranty plan.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You might be able to get it replaced under your warranty, but it's difficult to say whether or not your battery is malfunctioning (the condition which would warrant a replacement). It's older than a year, and while the cycle count is low batteries are typically only supposed to hold an 80% capacity after one year or 300 cycles. It's worth a try to get it replaced for free, I guess.

6. sadesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thank you. I will update here how the free exchange goes. :)

7. sadesh thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

it looks like you have had it plugged in for weeks straight...is this true?

9. sadesh thread starter macrumors newbie

May be :confused:

But, never left the mbp on for more than 6 or 8h continuously.

10. Coldmode macrumors regular

The problem is not that the computer was left on too long, its just that the electrons in the battery were not kept moving, so cells died from underuse.

It's good practice to put a cycle or two on your battery each week so it doesn't die before its time.

Since it seems the cause of death is being left plugged in for weeks at a time, do you really need a new battery? A dead battery won't affect you if you use the thing as a desktop--the juice will just flow from the charger and to the machine. If you don't plan on suddenly changing your use habits you might want to save the $130 or whatever and not worry about it.

11. lopoz macrumors regular

I leave mine plugged in a lot too, but it looks okay from the coconutbattery info, I guess.. 75% sounds good.. But my coconutbattery thing looks a bit wonky.. Check out the age of my MBP :)

[​IMG]

[edit] Very strange.. My Mac doesn't seem to have a serial number.. None shown in the 'About my Mac' window..

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

is this the mac in your sig (2007)?
    after three years it seems like you either got lucky, cycled your battery enough, or coconutbattery messed up :)

13. johnsy macrumors 6502

Well this is my question then- do apple batteries just DIE one day without any warning? I expect gradual decline vs sudden death. My battery was working just fine (2-2.5 hours) until just a few days ago it just failed to charge. So much about going trough full cycle! That is exactly what I have done. And no, I was not keeping my mbp plugged all the time- far from it- most of the time it was either off (I used my imac) or on a battery. That is what laptop is for anyway?!

14. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Really? Wow. After 241 cycles I still have 93% of the original capacity.

Attached Files:

15. lopoz macrumors regular

Yep, it's the 2007 MBP :) I guess I got a good sample ;) Gonna get it replaced by a new MBP soon though.. If they're ever released, that is.. *sigh*

:p