My MacBook Pro came...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColonelSmith, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ColonelSmith macrumors member

So, I just got my new MacBook Pro. I love it except.... they gave me a matte screen instead of glossy. Do you think it's worth sending back or taking a 50 min. drive to the nearest Apple store to get a glossy screen. I kinda miss the glossy from the MacBook but I don't miss the glare.. Kinda torn on this. :-\

2. PDE macrumors 68020

Why not sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning? I'd definitely stick with the matte, but that's just what I prefer to work on. It's really nice on your eyes for working long hours...

3. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

I'm in love with the glossy screen....i think the colors are more vibrant and the picture quality gives you more of that "high def" experience. I'd say totally get the glossy

4. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I'd personally stick with the glossy because it's more vibrant and brighter resolution. If you don't mind the 50 minute drive to the local Apple Store though. I would firstly call that store to make sure that they have the glossy one in stock, that way, you won't end up wasting the drive over there. Try calling Apple directly on the phone to see if they'll do an exchange for you by mail, having them send the received unit and having them resend the correct version which you ordered. Afterall, they did send you the incorrect one.

5. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Man! I wanted matte and had to settle for glossy. (refurbed MBP 2.33 15").

I thought the glossy would bug the $^&@ out of me, and was bummed I had to take that screen, but I haven't actually noticed it with too much glare at all. (except a possible small smudge here or there). In fact, the only time I think about it is when it's brought up on the mess. boards. Of course, Im not editing or anything like that.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I'd be happy. You are not. You should exchange it.

7. Shabbis macrumors regular

After reading all the "I wanted the xxx screen and got the xxx screen" I made sure I got the one I wanted (glossy) when I picked up my new MBP at the local Apple Store. The sales associate actually brought out the wrong MBP, I checked out all the specs on the side to make sure and he went back and got the correct one. The box actually says something like "LED backlit TFT Glossy Display" for the glossy one. No need to even open the box (unless the box was mislabeled).

I personally would go back for the glossy. I own a PB 12" matte and an imac G5 matte, so I wasn't sure if I'd like the glossy. Now I can't imagine using a machine without it. I find the MBP's glossy to not have as much glare as a lot of other glossy displays out there.

8. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

9. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Matte!

Once you go Matte, you'll never go back, LOL!:D

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not to get into this whole Matte vs Glossy issue, but I was wondering who else was confused when the MBP was updated on February 26th? When I priced my system pre-update, the 17" screen options were Matte, Glossy, Hi-Res Matte, Hi-Res Glossy. After the update, when I was placing my order, the options were Matte, Glossy, Hi-Res Glossy, Hi-Res Matte :confused: Now I'm lucky I'm obsessive when it comes to my computers and double checked, but I nearly ordered the Hi-Res Glossy cuz it wasn't in the same place it used to be...

11. ogacon macrumors newbie

... I just gotta say wow. You must have went to customize screen a few too many times to extinctly choose the 3rd selection without looking! ;)

12. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

I prefer Matte but thats simply because I need to have failthful colors for when I'm printing photographs.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

You have NO idea... I'd been itching for my MBP since MWSF when they were supposed to be updated haha. And considering the LED and multi-touch were the two features I was holding out for, it didn't make sense to order before they released the update...

14. ogacon macrumors newbie

haha, I know, I'm itching for mine. At the end of the month cause that is when the next credit billing cycle thing comes. Don't want to put 2k on it and get interest for it being in there for 2 days you know? I'll buy it at the start, and just get 1 month interest because I'll have the cash before the end of the next one, after this one :)

15. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I love this phrase. Considering the fact that matte is the old standard. Shouldn't it be the glossy people saying "Once you go glossy, you never go back?"

Either way, if you want glossy, then return it. I got matte, but if you want glossy, get glossy.

16. macdragon macrumors newbie

matte glossy matte glossy.....both

personally prefer glossy
    have worked with a MBP 15" matte screen and loved it
    will be using a glossy 15" MBP soon...
    Ideally glossy 24" imac and 15" matte MBP....$$$$$$
    AC/DC:cool:

17. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

Go get your glossy, I only notice reflections if the screen brightness is set very low.

18. ColonelSmith thread starter macrumors member

Well after using it for a couple days and comparing with the old glossy MacBook I say the matte is a little better. It looks like the colors aren't as "exaggerated" and more "true". I still might call Apple at the end of this week when I'm not busy (I'm setting up a network for a local company this week) just to see what they could do. I would preferably like to have them send me the glossy unit so I don't have to go without my machine and I can transfer my information without throwing everything on an external drive. Thanks for all of your input and I'll be back here to post my experience with Apple support if I decide to send the machine back for the glossy.