My Macbook pro core 2 duo is running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gyrojosh26, May 29, 2012.

1. gyrojosh26 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a macbook pro 2.2ghz intel core 2 duo with 2Gb ram. Lately it seems to be running slower and slower. I noticed quite a considerable slow down when upgrading to osx lion, but it wasnt perfect before this point, and still seems to be getting worse.
    I have repaired the permissions numerous times, tried cleaning unnecessary files to free up space etc, but nothing seems to help.
    The slowing down doesn't seem to just effect any single app or process, as it now takes ages to turn on, as well as taking a long period to open apps etc. Everything also appears very jumpy, videos for instance dont run smoothly.
    I'm not sure if it is related, but I have also noticed that it often runs very hot and the fans have to work hard. And the brightness of the screen seems to alway revert to very low, even though its on automatic adjustment.

Looking at the activity monitor I have 95GB unused on the harddrive and have approx 430mb not in use for memory (dont know if that helps).
    I have looked at buying more RAM, but I would prefer to get the computer running efficiently again before throwing money at it.

Any help would be really appreciated,
    Josh

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2GB is really not enough for Lion. I recommend at least 4GB if not going to 8gb

I have a 2010 MBP which is a C2D machine as well, and its still pretty snappy under Lion, but I'm running with 8gb.

Lion consumes more resources then its older brother - Snow Leopard so by giving it more ram, you should see a nice bump in performance.

3. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Josh, one word: RAM.

if money is tight and you're in the UK I will post you 2x2Gb from my C2D 2.26GHz (which has 2x4Gb now but is about to be sold). Won't use it otherwise.

4. gyrojosh26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for those replies guys. Obviously RAM seems the way to go then. I had been told by a few people that my macbook pro couldn't go up to 8GB, only 2x2GB. Can either of you shed any light on this and if so which type, where from and how much should I look at spending? Depending on the cost your old 2x2gb offer sounds great. I'm not opposed to spending any money on my mac, but dont want to throw money away on 8GB if its no better than 4GB (if that makes sense).

Thanks again,
    Josh

5. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Josh, make sure to buy the correct type of RAM for your MBP. Check on About This Mac which type your computer uses and buy a 4Gb kit with the same characteristics.

This can help.
    http://www.crucial.com/mac/

Good luck!

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You may want to check out www.macsales.com and go to the RAM upgrade screen. Once you select the type of MBP you have, it will tell you exactly how much, and what kind of, RAM your machine can take.