My Macbook Pro crashes when booting when my new router is on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macpokerstars, Aug 25, 2014.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.8 on it.

I received a router for my new fibre-optic connection and whenever the router is on and try to connect to it via Wifi, my Macbook Pro crashes. Force Quit doesn't work and i have to do a hard reboot.

When i reboot, the laptop gets stuck on the Apple screen and never gets to log in page.

The problem only disappears when I unplug the router.

I tried disabling the wifi on the laptop and used an Ethernet cable to connect to the router. The computer still crashes.

Have you ever heard of such a problem?
    What causes it? The wifi signal is too strong? Electromagnetic disturbance?

This is disturbingly illogical!

Thanks in advance

2. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Try doing a factory reset of the router and try connecting again. If that still doesn't work, I'd try upgrading to at least Mountain Lion if not Mavericks. Unless someone else has a better idea of what might be going on.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You might also want to contact your ISP since it seems it is their router that's causing the problem.

4. syobwoc macrumors member

syobwoc

have you tried deleting all your previously saved wifi passwords? I've ran into issues when I use a new router with the same wifi name and password as my old router. Usually a delete and readd does the trick for me.

Also since it may be a new internet provider you probably want to check to see if you have any previous DNS addressed stored for the network. I'd also do a DNS flush, shouldn't hurt anything. Hope this helps!