my macbook pro doesn't work right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasming, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jasming macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a macbook pro 17" (2011) and it seems to have a hardware issue.
    Yesterday when I was working with graphic apps and listening to music, the screen went off suddenly (after a sudden blink) and the music stopped! after 4-5 seconds the screen turned on and again gone and back! then the music started again...
    I'm so worried about my data and the hardware to have a serious issue. would you please let me know what is the problem?

Thanks in advance

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Alas, it could be a failing graphics card, the scourge of 15" and 17" 2011 MacBook Pros. Someone here who knows more than I may be in a better position to comment but that would be my initial concern.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate seems to have hit your MBP.

Only solution - reball a new GPU (not worth it, because the gap between the 6750M and the 650M that came after it is very huge), or get a new MBP.

Logic board replacements don't work because all the 2011 15"/17" MBP boards have a manufacturing flaw which causes Radeongate to occur.

4. jasming thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reply.
    so does it have any effect on the sound? why the music went off?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When Radeongate strikes, it renders the entire Mac inoperable, so it'd affect everything that'd you're doing when it hits.

When mine was hit by Radeongate, I had Spotify open. And when I opened up Photoshop, the screen went black and the music stopped playing.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the dGPU, all I can say is back up the data so you have a second copy someone where since the logic board is failing.

7. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

How does the logic board fail? Too much heat?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Heat's fine, heat cycling isn't.

With bad solders, the contraction and expansion of metal that goes along with the temperature eventually cracks them.

9. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I see, thank you!