My MacBook pro early 2008 will not boot. Someone please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macthak, Feb 11, 2011.

1. macthak macrumors newbie

Hi last night I used my MacBook. I put it on charge and went to sleep. I decided I would drive home from college today. I unplugged my MacBook but did not turn it off and put it in My backpack (I hardly ever turn it off. Is that bad?) so I flipped it open and pressed my spacebar to bring up the login screen. Nothing happened. I unplugged it and took the battery out and held power button for 10 seconds nothing. When I push the power button it makes that booting noise (sounds like the hd coming on or fans or something) and the light on the button to open the lid lights up for a second then nothing happens. I called the apple and made a appointment but I wanna know if anyone knows what I can do. also I wanna know if I will lose all of my data. That would suck cause I just bought a drive to back up my Mac the other day but didn't have time yet to do it now this happens :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not bad to carry it in sleep mode, but you need to wait for 20-30 seconds to make sure it's in sleep mode before moving it around or putting it in your backpack. You can tell it's in sleep mode when the sleep light is pulsing.
    Did you check to see if your screen brightness was turned up? Sometimes on reboot, it can be turned all the way down, giving you a black screen.
    It's hard to know for sure, but it's not too likely that you'd lose your data. Possible, but not likely.
    Backup. Backup. Backup. I guess you'll make that a priority now!

3. macthak thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha yeah I will definitely back up asap. It isn't the brightness. It won't boot. It tries booting for a second but it doesn't work

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

your video card has failed since it chimes it should be fixed for free. very common with this card see are all 8600 owners screwed.

5. calabi macrumors regular

macthak did you manage to get this fixed? same has happened with mine same model the last couple of days, very annoying!

6. macthak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah took the MacBook to an apple store and they said it was the logicboard. They replaced it and it works great now.

7. calabi macrumors regular

Awesome! I take it your unit was out of warranty!?