My Macbook Pro ebay winning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iwan, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Iwan macrumors newbie

So I just won a macbook pro on ebay, and im a little struck by what a good deal it might be, but I'm still not sure.

Its a 2012 15.4" Model, non-retina, 2.3ghz
    Hi res display (glossy)
    10GB ram
    500gb HD
    and applecare till 2015.

I won it for £720, £40 shipping (from Estonia, i live in UK) and a customs charge which i think is 20% of value, so thats about £140.

So in total it will cost around £900.

Am I right in thinking i got a good deal, or have misjudged it a little? Anyone else imported a macbook pro to the uk and had good/bad prices in customs?

2. sofianito, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Be aware of scams... Estonian people are nice in general, but in those countries MBPs are generally expensive...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but it sounds too good to be true. I'll let other folks who are more familiar with UK pricing but that price appears way too low for a fairly new MBP.

4. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a little worrying that ebayer has no feedback, however could genuinely be a new ebay user.

Ebay protection policies should cover me though if anything were to go wrong...fingers crossed

----------

I did a couple of ebay searches for it while it was up and it was actually quite difficult to get it to come up in searches for some reason.

5. Darkjenso macrumors regular

do you have a link to the ebay listing?

but yeah, for that price + no feedback, high possibilty of it being a scam/stolen

6. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant really find any indicators that it may be scam or stolen, apart from how much it went for in the auction and the blank feedback.

8. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

OK. Buy it and then tell us how nice was the empty box if (s)he ever sends something... Estonia is, with all respect, eastern Europe. Apple products are very expensive there. Why would someone sell it at that cheap price?

9. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Completely understand what your saying, but theres nothing telling me that the seller intended for it to go for that cheap, it was up for auction, not buy it now. (suppose he could set a reserve, but that seems to be becoming less common). Seller could be pulling his hair out right now wishing they had set a reserve. Im prodding at the seller for questions and their responding at least, just waiting to find out if shipping is insured.

Ebay buyer protection is generally pretty good aswell, so if I had been had paypal can usually refund the money from the seller account.

10. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I take it it was an eBay auction, not a set price/buy now. I personally wouldn't dare bidding for a device from another country. That's probably why the OP got such a good price on it. But as you've already hinted at, if the guy sends an empty box, even eBay buyer protection may not help. I'm not sure if there's anything he can do, maybe open the box with a notary to have more proof on what's inside?

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

12. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, well there you go! Okay i admit defeat! And there i was getting all excited about a new mac. Thank you very much! Youve saved alot of hassle...and possibly...ALOT of money!

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

14. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

new macs for cheap i mean very cheap could only mean a scam/used product or some issues on the product.

15. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

100% scam. New seller, no reviews. Too good a price to be true.

And 10GB RAM? Maximum memory is 8GB (however, I think you can increase it by hacking the EFI).

Plus, I don't think many people buy a 8GB stick and then a 2GB stick. Sounds weird! As there are no 5GB sticks, you'd have to use 8+2GB.

Definitely a scam.

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

How could you ever think to trust a seller with zero feedback for that kind of purchase anyways?

17. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

these are situations a normal person couldn't be involved.... to many alarm bells are ringing....

18. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

19. mark574020 macrumors newbie

Some deals on eBay are great tho I won this one 310708674532 a couple of weeks ago

20. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

21. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

that machine takes up to 16gb of ram

22. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Is it possible to configure it with 10?

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yes. 8+2 is no problem.

24. Iwan thread starter macrumors newbie

How about £820 for a late 2011 MBP 15.4, anti glare screen...from an ebay member with 600 feedback score :p...?