My macbook pro exceeding 85 degrees c!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pellebee, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pellebee macrumors member

why has my mac book pro become so hot i mean almost at waters boiling temperature!

and running slow with little applications running, anyone getting this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may not be aware that this question, like many others, has already been discussed quite a bit. Chances are good that your answers lie in existing threads, which you can find by searching the forums with this link. Here are some of the dozens of threads on this topic, filled with opinions and recommendations. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Anything below 100c is fine by MBP and Intel's standards.

4. pellebee thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys! ill get looking on this, its just a pain when the temp is this high and i want to work on a sofa, it means two books piled underneath, grr!
    thanks again
    p

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

even with two books under it, its still thinner than a dell :) (of course its not, but its close!)

85c @ full load is fine. I wouldnt be puttin that near the 'boyz' though.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That may be your problem.

Make sure there are no obstructions around the back of your MBP , vertically , horizontally or any variation.

Your MBP's fans will kick up when it reaches their thermal thresholds (set forth by Apple unless you've modded them via SMC).

Remember, they are electronics, not human skin :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MBP does not vent through the bottom or sides. It vents through the back and keyboard. Placing the MBP on books or a desk or lap or pillow will not impede it's venting in any way.

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Does this mean using an iSkin Protouch silicone keyboard protector is bad for the MBP? I've got one.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not familiar with them, so I don't know if they allow any venting. Your CPU and GPU chips are the greatest heat sources and are directly under the keyboard near the top rows of keys. Heat rises. If you want to be certain, check your temps with and without the keyboard protector and see if there's a difference.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhm...when did I ever say the MBP vents through the bottom or the sides?

Last I checked firewire and USB ports didn't have very good circulation.

In any event, the Macbook Pro does NOT vent from the keyboard as a product of design. Why would they endorse clamshell/workstation mode, then?
    Heat may rise , but the major heat generating components (Chipset, CPU and GPU) are situated at the top "bar" and extend a bit in between that and the qwerty row keys with a very extensive cooling infrastructure to take care of it.

[​IMG]

Heatsinks + heatpipes are placed on top of the components and routed to the ends of the back vent to 2 heatsinks and cooled off by two independantly rotating fans...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes, if you put a pillow right between the display and the bottom chassis you might be able to get away with the heat being pushed out towards the user but I would estimate impending doom.

Now, being aluminum and such, keyboard warmth might be a by product by assosiation, especially being situated between the hard drive and these components, but I doubt apple designed them as Macbook Pro w/ hand warmers.

Next.

11. mcflirty99 macrumors member

i kust replaced my thermal pasting...

i was soo fkcing scared no joke.

i broke my laptop on the way (sueprdrive tray or w/e)

it's all good tho i don't care about superdrive since it still works, it's just that that metal thing around it is broken/stripped out

but yea, my temp now is 44 C at 1999 RPM fan speed

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Chipset, CPU and GPU are located approximately under the 3-4 keys, the 5-6 keys and the 8-9 keys, not at the top bar. While by design, heat is vented through cooling pipes to the fans and out the back, heat does dissipate through the keyboard. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out... just hold your hand over the upper half of the keyboard and you can feel the heat. And the only reference to a pillow was placing the MBP ON a pillow, so the pillow or books or table or lap would only be in contact with the bottom enclosure, where there are no vents.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

depending on how soft the pillow is, the mbp can "sink" into it, reducing a lot of airflow. Not to mention..its not a hard surface, which apple recommends the MBP to be placed on anyway. also the pillow won't dissipate heat as well as a desk.

Its not a "laptop" its a notebook by apple's standards.

edit:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778

"Set up your portable on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your portable on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating the computer. Never push objects into the ventilation openings."

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Link to where Apple recommends this?

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the link!

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Good link.

However there is much ambiguity surrounding that particular KB article.... i'm certian it only applies to certian models, considering that the old school iBook G3's are reported to have vented through the keyboard but every other laptop introduced since then (minus the MBA , maybe) has the back vent...

oh,

and this...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

18. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm kinda confused as to how it would drain your battery considering that it's impossible (without third party utilities) to utilize "closed lid mode" on battery power. As soon as disconnect power while in CLM , it goes to sleep and won't wake up until power is restored (or the lid is open).

Although I have suffered my fair share of Insomnia book pro...

20. dropadrop macrumors member

Did you read this from Intel's spec sheet?

I had problems with a first gen Macbook Pro running very hot at a time. Just touching the casing it was clear it was a lot hotter then any of my co-workers machines. I installed some app to monitor cpu temps, and it was 10C higher then Intel's specifications allowed (checked from Intel documents). I can't remember the exact temperatures now as this happened over a year ago.

I contacted Apple about the issue, and they said there is no maximum temperature for macbook pro's, as long as it runs it should be ok. I mentioned Intels specs, and they said they don't apply to Apple products (yeah right). Then they said they don't support any of the released programs which probe the temperature from the cpu. The only supported way would be to buy an expensive program from them, and then use snmp for monitoring.

I solved the problem by running 2 instances of Folding At Home (runs cpu at 100%), some free game demo (heats videocard) and putting a lot of files to copy from one place to another, all at the same time. Within 5 minutes my display was all garbled, and the machine froze. I took a picture with a camera, printed it and sent the machine with the picture to Apple for repairs. The motherboard was changed and my machine run a lot cooler then before.

21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yeah. I read it from the Core 2 Duo specs sheet. C2D chips are designed to operate at temp. of up to 100c. Beyond that the system would automatically shutdown (I guess).

22. dropadrop macrumors member

Ah, right.. Mine is a Core Duo so it probably has different specs.