My Macbook Pro extended warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joss Gillespie, Dec 4, 2012.

1. joss Gillespie macrumors newbie

I got my macbook pro in 2010, and I bought it with extended warranty and applecare, but a few days a go I was walking in school with a few people, and they could clearly see I had my laptop in my hands, then this guy threw this massive hunk of snow at me and it hit the laptop totally unprovoked. Now the white light that normally pulsates on and off when the laptop is on, is permanently on and no matter how long I hold the off button it won't turn off. The rest of the laptop seems completely dead, the screen and everything else wont turn on and the thing won't even make a noise. I have left on on a radiator to heat it up, gave it to my school IT guy who blew air through it- still not working. Will my warranty cover this, and alternatively have any of you guys ever been in a similar situation and know how to fix it? or is buying a new one the only other option? The cheapest option forward would be much appreciated! Cheers!

2. simsaladimbamba

Depends on what you mean with "Extended Warranty". Apple Care does not cover accidental damage. Maybe you have some kind of home insurance or you get in touch with the guy (hopefully you have witnesses) and get his insurance to repair the damage, if that guy is reasonable.

3. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Just got to Apple store tell them what happened and hopefully they will look after you.

The other option is just say its doing this randomly if there's no sign of water damage hopefully warranty can cover it .

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

There are moisture sensors inside the machine. I think he's screwed.

Try some honesty. You never know what the genius might do.

5. joss Gillespie thread starter macrumors newbie

There IS an IT guy in my school, who might be able to fix it, but he told me to check if it is still in warranty before he does, because if he cracks it open the warranty is void. I didn't buy it at an apple store, I bought it in comet (Tech store) if that makes a difference to the warranty? What do you think I should do next? Take it back to the store or let my school's IT guy crack it open?

6. simsaladimbamba

It does not matter, where you bought it, any Mac will come with one year of Apple Care, unless you extended that to three years (adding two more years).
    Since you did not tell us, what kind of warranty you have, and if Extended Warranty means you got the Apple Care Protection Plan to extend the warranty for two more years to three years, it is most likely still under warranty if it is a 2010 Mac.
    I guess confronting that guy is not an option?
    Do you have any kind of home insurance?

And

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would at least take it into Apple initially, explain exactly what happened and where you purchased the computer. Lying is not only pointless but also makes you look like you're trying to pull one over on them when they find moisture in there. If the price is exorbitantly high you can always back to your IT guy.