My macbook Pro fell on the ground !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kittychan, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Kittychan macrumors regular

When it hit the ground, I was very sad...... the body shows a lot of scratches and the screen is distorted from outside..... Yet, its still working !!! I am looking for a new screen now.... Where can I get it Please help.....

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ooof that sucks man, i'm sorry :(

I guess take it to the Apple store, they can send it out for repair, but probably gonna cost a lot.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

May I ask, how did you drop it on the ground? What were you doing? Most people are sitting down using their notebook. Please explain?

4. Kyouya macrumors member

Apple will replace your screen for 700-900~$. Alternatively, you can buy a screen of ebay and get it replaced. That'll lower the cost down to 400$.

That is what apple authorized service did for me. They bought a screen from a dealer.

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

That sucks dude...take it to the Apple store and get a quote (see if you can sit down before they tell you), then try an Apple Authorized Service Center, and last ifixit.com and Ebay are the best places for parts if you want to do it yourself. Hope this helps!

If you get a chance, please post some pics with it running and off...I'm curious about how bad it looks.

6. VespR macrumors regular

I slipped on ice this morning outside my house making a dash for the train to work. Slight dent/chip on the unibody case on the port side, but by the battery light. Slight chip/dent on the screen. Everything works perfectly, I ran some benchmarks, no performance hit. Screen is fine, no dead pixels.

I am f*cking gutted though! I resell every year, this will hurt me. From my understanding replacing the metal on the display side, means replacing the whole display? Can't be bothered with that. Tempted to have the unibody looked at, but at the end of the day it's a tool for the job. Work of art second!

7. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

Basically my macbook pro fell off the seat, hit the floor and then the metal part outside the screen is bend. So I am looking for the replacement not the screen but just the metal part. So far I cannot find anything on ebay.

Ohh and by the way why my backlight is always on although it is so bright outside !!!

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Have you seen how much MBP's that don't even turn on are selling for on Ebay?! I doubt that it will have that much of an impact on your resell value.

OP .... Sorry to hear about your MBP.

9. donbenjy macrumors 6502

:( my housemate just dropped a glass on the port side on my unibody pro...there's a really nasty dent over the FW800 port. I might be able to bend it back out so that the port still works, although I don't have a FW800 cable handy, so I can't test it atm.

REALLY gutted. I wonder if my insurance covers this though? I'll have to check it out, though is it worth the hassle of getting a new one?! hmm...

I kinda think that if it was the old case, the top would have dented but the port would've survived - if there was that plastic surround there. :eek:

Attached Files:

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

It doesn't look soooo bad and thankfully the glass didn't brake the screen, didn't spill the liquid on your MBP ...

I guess it hurts though :(

11. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's pretty lucky I guess, although I can't seem to bend it up, so I guess no FW if it's too far down...There's not alot to lever it on either - trying to pull it up would push down on the connector, which I don't wanna do! I suppose there's always an ugly expresscard one :(

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You can take needlenose pliers and put electrical tape on the tips and use those to bend it back up. It won't bend back perfectly as the metal is already stretched but good luck on it. You also should have started your own thread as not to hijack this one.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get it resolved cheaply.

14. donbenjy macrumors 6502

thanks for the electrical tape tip! I tried tentatively without, but was scared of creating more damage. It's roughly back to normal, but with some scratchy burr and stuff, which I don't think I can get rid of...FW should work now.

Sorry I didn't create a new thread - I didn't think it was worth a whole new one.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Damn I should have used the electrical tape trick when ripping my monitor apart :(