My macbook pro gets way to how when gaming in boot camp with windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macthak, Jan 13, 2010.

1. macthak macrumors newbie

Hey all i have a march 2008 macbook pro 15 in

specs:
    4GB ram
    Processor Speed 2.4 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT

when i play dragon age in boot camp with windows 7 it gets insanely hot (200 f sometimes) and the game eventually quits. this is really annoying cause it is such a great game. i even tried it on the lowest possible visuals and this still happens. also when the machine is just sitting and i am not running anything at all it still heats up and stays hot. this does not happen in os x just in windows 7.

when i had vista on boot camp i used to play some very graphic intense games on much higher visuals such as mass effect and fallout 3 and had no problems. it got hot but never unbearable to the point that the game quit.

thanks in advanced for any help

2. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

The short answer is Apple has not released the boot camp drivers for Windows 7 yet. Basically there is no way to control the fans in windows. Your best bet is to use SMCfancontrol or similar in OS X and force the fans to like 4K rpm plus before rebooting into windows 7. It's a crappy work around, but until we get some serious boot camp drivers from Apple it's what we are stuck with.

3. macthak thread starter macrumors newbie

I do use smcfancontrol I put the fans to 6000 then restart into boot camp but it still gets to hot and the game quits after a while

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have not tried it, but macfan seems to work for some folks according to this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=477263

B

5. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Macfan is a PITA to get working right. Plus it still does not work correctly in Win 7. No fan control software will work correctly with Win 7 until Apple releases the new boot camp drivers.

6. Jottle macrumors 6502

When I game on snow leopard, the fans get just as high as they do in windows (6000rpms), and windows in boot camp doesn't have any real smc. Bootcamp has no fan control, but the fans should spin up all the way and keep the laptop cool enough so that there aren't shutdowns due to heat. Unless you're overclocking, I would take your mbp in. But make sure this is hardware issue and not a software one. Not to take my situation as definitive evidence that there is no problem, but I've been gaming in clamshell mode in bootcamp on my late June '09 macbook pro for hours without any issues. So this may be a defect. But like I said, boot camp usually makes the fans just shoot up super high as soon as you run anything graphics intensive. No matter how high they go, they should be able to keep the mbp cool enough to avoid any heat related issues aside from the keyboard getting extremely hot to the touch.