My Macbook Pro has no hard drive showing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kevin83165, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I ordered a refurbed 15" glossy macbook Pro and been anxiously waiting for a week. Well it arrived today. I used my 6 pin firewire cable to transfer my date off an older drive and that went well.

After I rebooted later on all I get is a folder with a ? mark in the middle. I put in the restore disk and go to disk utility and theres nothing there.

I know I can send this back to Apple but arrrrrrgh I waited so long. Does anyone think this could be a simple fix?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you have another Mac? If so, have you tried to boot into Target disk mode and seeing if the hard drive shows up that way? (Boot the Mac holding T and then connect it via Firewire to the other Mac.)

3. Kevin83165 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly how do I do this with my iMac? Thanks

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you keep the hard drive connected vai firewire? it could be trying to boot off of that..

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

First you shut down the MacBook Pro and then start it, after you hear the chime, hold down the "T" button. It should go into target disk mode, then connect a FireWire cable to the MacBook Pro and to the iMac, the MacBook Pro's hard drive should show up as a FireWire external hard drive.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You didn't attempt to clone the iMac to the MacBook Pro, did you? That won't work, and would cause your MBP to fail to boot - especially if the iMac is a PowerPC machine.