Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrzej

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Today I took apart my MacBook Pro to clean the inside of it. I haven't done this in the three and a half years I've owned it, so I figured there would be a lot of dust in it. It wasn't as bad as I expected (this photo is taken before any cleaning was done; you'll notice the keyboard/trackpad cable still connected to the logic board), but it did take over 4 hours to clean.:D

mbp-guts-cjr.jpg

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
i use canned air on my macbook, but sometimes theres bits in there that won't come off, so i resort to high density detergent, a hard nailbrush to roughly scrub and make a nice foam, let stand for a while then i use an industrial steam cleaner (from my work, the boss don't mind) and it generally gleams like new.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
i use canned air on my macbook, but sometimes theres bits in there that won't come off, so i resort to high density detergent, a hard nailbrush to roughly scrub and make a nice foam, let stand for a while then i use an industrial steam cleaner (from my work, the boss don't mind) and it generally gleams like new.

I usually do this, but sometimes will use the wirebrush attachment for my drill if it gets real rough in spots

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

I hope anyone reading your post will recognize sarcasm and not actually do that.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I tried what you said to get the hard stuff to come off. Didn't have a steam cleaner though so just did the detergent part with a toothbrush and now I can't get it to turn on again?:confused:

Any advice?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
i didn't mean to appear sarcastic. it was just meant as light hearted fun during the holidays.

hopefully it made a few folks smile. :):):)

I should have said light-hearted, not sarcastic. My mistake. I did have to read it twice before I caught on. Must be a little groggy from last night, but I'm awake now. umgph.

Would be interesting to see how long a MBP would last if they did ditch the DVD drive and put more battery instead and not change the form factor.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
I tried what you said to get the hard stuff to come off. Didn't have a steam cleaner though so just did the detergent part with a toothbrush and now I can't get it to turn on again?:confused:

Any advice?

perhaps a rogue toothbrush bristle that worked itself loose has caused something to arc across somewhere, you need to get your hands on a high pressure jet house, that would find the pesky thing, hopefully it will then boot up.

:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.