My Macbook pro is apparently in a coma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lvalexandra, Aug 29, 2010.

1. lvalexandra macrumors newbie

:( ok, so I believe that i shut down my macbook but was mistaken and it did not shut down completely. the next day i opened it up and the screen wouldnt turn on like it usually does after simply being closed without powering down. i wasnt around to use it till a day later, being today, and i thought it was just a low battery problem. now the battery is fully charged and yet it is still in the same state. there is one light on but it is not bright like it is when sleep mode is not taking place. also, it sounds like its running; i can hear the fan running but both the keyboard and screen are refusing to turn on.

ive gone on the apple support page and have attempted what they suggest, but it didnt work. i dont use any plug in devices like a mouse, the only things i plug in are the battery charger and my ipod.

has anyone had this problem? does anyone know how to fix it?

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha been so long but i am 99% sure i have had this happen, have you tried manually shutting down the computer and starting it? if you have not and you get it to boot up you will notice it is slow, reset it properly and you should be good.

3. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem with my Black Macbook. To fix it, you remove the battery and place it back in. Boots back up normally. But if you have a Unibody, I don't know what to do.

EDIT: Didn't read thoroughly enough. Yes, this has happened dozens of times. Just turn it off manually and should start up normally. If not, refer to my first suggestion, if you can.

4. lvalexandra thread starter macrumors newbie

i have taken the battery out several times. no luck :( the screen is just completely black and doesnt appear to be on, but i hear the disk drive sound when i try and start it normally. last night however it got the point where it wouldnt even go on like it is now, it would shut off immediately after pressing the power button. when that was happening, it was plugged into the wall, so there was battery life. its not doing that now, but the screen is still black and not turning on. ive gone through the apple support, tried resetting what they tell you to and still nothing. the battery is also fully charged now, as it was last night.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It seems to me like you have a faulty logic board.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just a long shot..... and only because you haven't mentioned this yet.... have you tried the screen dim/bright controls? It would be terribly embarrassing to take it into the store with the screen dimmed right down.

Try booting up in single user mode. Booting into single user mode checks some file stuff.

Do you have screen sharing turned on? If so, when the system is on you should be able to connect via a 2nd Mac and look at the screen. Perhaps there is a message you can't see that might give you a clue.

Good Luck.

7. lvalexandra thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah, ive tried the dimmer, if that happened in to me in the store i would turn and run. the keyboard isnt even appearing on and ive pushed and held down every button on it just incase something would happen. as for booting up, its not really going that far.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

sounds to me like the logic board, or something else fairly substantial, not the hdd, not the gpu, not the processor, not the monitor either. Take it into a apple store and get it some help =D