My MacBook Pro is going in for repair... YET AGAIN...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goodcow, Feb 4, 2008.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

So my repair list is...

- three batteries
    - three MagSafe adapters
    - left I/O board
    - right CPU fan
    - hard drive
    - SuperDrive (new!)
    - top case (new!)

GO $TEVE, $18 billion in free cash laying around with no debt, and yet apparently none of that is going towards quality control!

After they replaced the hard drive a few months ago I was told I should just get a new laptop on the next repair, but apparently they didn't want to do that tonight, and I didn't want to cause a scene.

So I'm going to E-Mail steve@apple.com, let executive customer service contact me, and see what they can do instead.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Bold move. Good luck.

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Keep us posted please....

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Even the best products have lemons. The only problem I've had in 10 months is one of the infamous batteries.

I would definitely say you deserve a replacement. I don't know what the whole policy with that is, but either you're trying to compute under water or have a bad MBP.

5. mosx macrumors 65816

Welcome to the club! I don't have a MacBook Pro, but I'm on my second MacBook that was destroyed by Flextronics!

I sent my email to sjobs@apple.com a few hours ago. It worked last time Flextronics destroyed my computer, so we'll see how it goes from here. Ken Bell from Executive Relations is already dealing with my case, but hes a complete jerk and had to be reminded several times that damage caused by Apple and those contracted by Apple IS Apple's responsibility and that Apple is legally obligated to repair or replace a defective system, especially if they cause any kind of damage to it. Maybe next time I speak to him I should mention the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as well as California Civil Code 1750. Hes trying act like Apple is doing me a favor by offering to repair "cosmetic damage", when Apple's own warranty clearly states that the only damage they are not responsible for is damage caused by people other than themselves or those who are not Authorized Repair Centers.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Cheer up, maybe you'll get a new one after the update! :)

I hope everything ends ok for you, this series of faults is surely unacceptable.

7. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Good luck, man.

I've had decent experience with AppleCare so far, but right now my MBP repair is "On hold - Part on order" for my display (which have been backordered for a while).

Let us know what happens.

8. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I'm on MacBook Pro NUMBER FIFTEEN in under two years. Twelve of the first fourteen were replaced by Apple, all for "Genius"-documented and certified defects. MBP #15 was in my possession for two weeks before needing repair and was then in repair for three weeks. All seems well now, but why in Hell's name I keep bothering with Apple's horrible quality control is a mystery to everyone.

Short version of this reply: I feel your pain. Good luck.

9. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

it seems strange that one person can have 15 replacements while I sit in my room with my launch mbp.

I dunno.

who knows.

Steve works in mysterious ways

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

huh?

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

12. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, to update you guys, I got a call from Corporate Executive Relations about 12 hours after sending my E-Mail and I'm now in possession of a brand new MacBook Pro, fully restored with my Time Machine machine. The representative was extremely courteous and set things up for my replacement very quickly.

Thank you Apple!

13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I have seen posts like these and it never ceases to amaze me. I never understood how someone can have such terrible luck, if luck has anything to do with it. Leads me to believe that you are not taking proper care of your laptop(s).

14. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Not the OP here, but I did reply in this thread.

I've taken great care of my MBP, yet I've still had problems (screen whine (logic board replaced), broken case bracket, weird halos on screen, and two faulty batteries).

Things happen - that's one of the reasons why AppleCare is recommended for laptops. I've had good success with Apple so far (except waiting for a replacement display currently).

15. BrokenE macrumors regular

Posts like these scare me, as I am in the market for the new MBP. So many people posting about serious problems that it makes me also wonder if this is real? Is another possibility that some try to smear Apple's reputation?

On the flip side, very few people post about a perfectly running product. So maybe sites like this one are scewed because people search out sites like this one to get help resolving their problems? We'll that is my hope.

16. aki macrumors 6502a

Yes i think people with working machines dont post "its working!" "its still working!"... but also i think it is true that laptops dont last as well as desktops... i also think apple products have more problems now than they did before but that is just my own opinion, maybe it is because they are updating their designs more often now with the change to intel (fast cpu cycle) and so on

i definitely think applecare is nec for a mbp

15 replacements is crazy tho they should give you lots of free stuff for that

17. GeneKam macrumors regular

well that is the problem with apple care, best buy has better covarage all around. And no lemon policy is great. Simply if a laptop breaks four times, it will be replaced, and the thing is, this will be replaced with the new one, reason being that you had to do so many replacements is quite simple, apple offers a refurbished product as a replacement, most of the refirbished products where originally created on friday (joke about how everyone wants to go home and half asses the product). And the cycle of these laptops that needs repairs and originally didnt work just keeps going around. This is clever technique to maximize revenue.

18. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

That's a strange response...

I love my MacBook and baby this machine more than any other computer I've ever owned, but having to put in a new logic board, superdrive and magsafe adapter in the first year leaves me scratching my head about Apple's QA. Although my past windows machines were...uh...running windows, they never had the hardware problems of this MacBook.

I'm addicted to OSX though so I'll never go back.

19. mosx macrumors 65816

You're seriously joking, right? I mean, honestly?

Best Buy's extended warranties are the worst. They lie and mislead people into buying them by saying things such as "the battery is covered!" when its not. When it does come time to service it, they will do everything they can to blame the user and get out of servicing the system. If they do actually service it, you can be without your system for weeks or even months at a time. It'll most likely come back in even worse shape than it would have if it came back from Flextronics.

They will only "replace" the system after it has had four of the SAME failures. Not four different failures. You could essentially have the screen go bad, HDD die, optical drive die, motherboard die, fans die, RAM go bad, the internal power connector go bad, power inverter for the screen go bad, etc. and they will NOT replace the system until you have had one issue four times over. Where Apple, HP, and others will replace the system after a small number of other failures out of good will just because of the inconvenience it has caused you. Best Buy will also only replace the system with one that has what they feel is the equivalent depreciated value of your old system. So let's say with HP or Apple you bought a system for $1400, they will replace your system with whatever currently cost $1400, even if its 2 years and 11 months into your 3 year warranty. While Best Buy will say "well, your computer was only worth about $700 now.." Also, Apple does NOT replace systems with refurbs. Just read around this forum. How many people who have bought their system new and had to get it replaced ended up with a refurbished replacement? None. After Flextronics destroyed my MacBook after multiple trips out to it (making it worse each time), Apple replaced my MacBook with a new model at the same exact price point as the original purchase. When my motherboard went bad in my HP, HP actually replaced the motherboard. But they called me after the repair took place and said they were going to replace the entire system out of good will. They replaced it with a system that cost roughly exactly the same, but was significantly upgraded. Best Buy would give you options as low as half of what your original system cost, IF they even ever offered to replace it at all.

Best Buy simply has the worst service out there. They will screw you over, jerk you around, break your system, swap the casing so the serial numbers don't match and then accuse you of fraud (go read consumerist.com) and many other things. They also treat their employees like absolute crap. Best Buy honestly makes Wal-Mart look angelic when you compare how they treat their customers and employees.

Best Buy also marks up the prices of iPod accessories too. At the local Best Buy here, those Apple In-Ear headphones that are set at MSRP of $39.99 (and that is what Apple and everyone else sells them for) go for $52.99. Best Buy is definitely one of those "evil corporations" people SHOULD hate.

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

same here... wise minds think alike.

ive had

2 batteries
    RAM
    logic board

replaced on my core duo MBP. think i got a lemon as my screen and magsafe now buzz but im out of warranty so nothing i can do. i thinking of selling my MBP and iPod and getting a MB and a shuffle and a gaming PC

21. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about it too much -- like you said, the people with a working product are not likely to post about it, so the "Good to Bad" ratio on forums such as these are a bit skewed towards the "problematic" side at times, because forums are an outlet for help and resolving problems.

With that being said, I've got a MacBook Pro that I purchased from Future Shop last month, no yellow screen issues, no wireless problems, no kernel panics, battery lasts a good 4 1/2 - 5 hours with wireless turned on, everything just works and I absolutely love it.

22. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

This is True

It is True that people only post about problems.

Best Buy is Terrible. I will not buy anything there except for perhaps a toner cartridge or a DVD. Certainly not something I may need support on.

The story of the OP seemed pretty extreme to me. I would be interested in learning more about how he uses his MBP.

I do agree that Apple Care for MBP is necessary because out of warranty repairs for the MBP are universally expensive and two years is about the maximum I would want to keep a laptop.

Since 1998, I was buying dell laptops - mostly Latitudes. I bought 5 from 1998 to 2003. All refurbished. The last one ticked me off. There was hardware problem after hardware problem. The problems had nothing to do with the software. The machine ran extremely HOT. I had replaced a hard drive and then the replacement failed after three months. It was probably cooked.

I owned an ultra portable Vaio. The Z505R I think it was. That was an awesome laptop but at 400 megahertz, it was too slow and I sold it for just over half the price I paid after a few years.

Anyways, as a result of the dell from hell, I VOWED to never buy another Dell again. Never! Ever!

Before my dells, I had a PB540 and a PB5300CE. I bought the Dells because I was working with A CPA that insisted I use winbloze.

So I have come full circle!

23. ma2ha3 macrumors regular

ma2ha3

apple used to make in japan, good quality.
    then go to taiwan, slight drop in quality.
    now china, big fat bonus for apple, horrible quality.
    but it is ok for apple fanboy.

24. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Not that it diminishes the strain you've had, but I'm curious how long you've had the system.

I have the original MBP, and while it's needed servicing more than a few times over the (almost) two years since I bought it, I'm not really that surprised. It's a production machine, and gets used 9-10 hours a day. If I drove my car that much, I'd expect some garage time.

Wow.

25. lost eden macrumors 6502a

It still amazes me at the sheer number of people with stories like this, who have been through 15 different Apple laptops in 2 years or have a repair list as long as their arm. My question for them is this - why they hell are you still an Apple customer? Is it because you are deluded into believing that Apple produce 'the best' computers? Because from your own experience they obviously don't! If I received such bad products & services from ANY company, be it Apple or Ford or the company that makes my soap, I would take my business elsewhere.