My Macbook Pro is half dead. How to keep it alive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonfire9, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dragonfire9 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have a huge problem with my 2009 2.66Ghz MacBook Pro. I discovered that the Nvidia Geforce 9600GT graphic card is faulty and the replacement for the logic board is very expensive (and my warranty ended). However, I was still able to use it with my slower graphic card.

Then, somehow my laptop developed more problems: the laptop almost always freezes on startup on the apple logo. I was able to fix this problem by reinstalling Snow Leopard from my disk. But, the computer started to freeze on startup again after few uses. Using disk utility and onyx helps the problem but the problem comes back again.

I notice that most of the time I verify the disk in disk utility it always displays this problem:

Repairing the disk only temporarily fixes the problem and the computer freezes again and displays the same error message after few uses.

Repairing or getting another laptop is very expensive. I was wondering how to solve the startup freezing problem and the error above. I'm also wondering how to keep my Macbook Pro alive as long as possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You hard drive could be dying. I'd back everything up then replace it.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Am I safe to assume you (OP) didn't buy the Applecare protection plan?

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think it's your HDD. You should replace it and see what happens.

5. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

yes, i think you are in a pretty safe territory by assuming that. :rolleyes:

OT:

I'd replace the harddrive, if you don't have one lying around find a cheap one, in case its still acting up after the replacement.

Good luck.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd agree as well, or if you don't have anything to loose, back up your info and try reinstalling Mac OS. That's fixed errors like this 2x for me on my older macs.