my macbook pro is "hanging up"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHarrison, Oct 5, 2009.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

lately I've noticed on my new macbook pro that when things are trying to load..especially web pages...the macbook will "lock up" on me and I will have to sit and wait for it to get done processing/loading the web page/thinking before it will take away the "beach ball" cursor and let me click and continue working again...this is frustrating as a student because while in class i try to do many different things at once while taking notes and such...

any ideas? suggestions?

is this normal? or possibly just a result of an internet connection that maybe gets slower at times due to traffic?

Thanks,

iHarrison

2. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

3. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I have the same one. I think it's a HD "problem"...well not so much a problem with the HD, but rather it's just a POS.

I suggest upgrading to a WD HD or an SSD if you have the money.

5. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

so you're thinking that if i changed the HD in the macbook that would solve the issue possibly?

if you ever change your HD let me know how it goes.

6. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I think the stock Fuji HD has poor read/write performance, leading to beachballs anytime you multitask.

7. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

how would i go about replacing it? should i have apple do it? or is it an easy process?

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Buy a new HD and install it yourself. There should be plenty of guides on youtube.

9. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

how would you determine which HD is compatible and which isn't?

sorry i'm so new to this...

10. analytical44 macrumors regular

Don't apologize, we know it can be overwhelming at times. You want to look for a 2.5" HD. They will usually say "Notebook Drive" or something to that effect. Just make sure you don't get a 3.5" drive; those are for desktops and will not fit into your Macbook. If you search these forums you will find a host of hard drives that people have recommended.

Beware that many users have complained about beach balling after swapping their hard drives after the 1.7 EFI update. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883) From personal experience, I haven't noticed too much of a problem with beach balling after swapping my stock drive for the one in my sig. It does happen on occasion (like when I first open Firefox when having lots of tabs open) but I wouldn't say it's a major issue.

11. george.dye macrumors member

Don't be so quick to assume it is the hard drive. My 17" MBP did the same thing; only it got progressively worse. Apple-care and a repair shop both thought it was my HDD, yet it was a faulty logic board. :(:mad:

Moral of the story, your ****ed. Apple only serves to anger you and waste your precious time. (At least this is my experience)

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I thought the majority of macbooks came with the Hitachi's?

13. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm having the same problem on my Macbook Pro (latest gen, 15 in - middle config, 2.66, 4gb, 320gb hd).

I thought about bringing it into the Genius bar but I would have a very hard time recreating the problem since it seems pretty random in its onset. Now I'm thinking they probably won't do anything for me anyway....

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think your HD can't handle multitasking very well, thus freezing whenever you try to multitask =(

15. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

you people are nuts

you people are nutz suggesting someone that just spend some thousand $ in a laptop to spend another 200$ on a new hdd?????????

I thought that is why people buy apple. Because it works straight from the box.

Just give that lemon back, and get an new one, and if the new one is the same, consider a new machine altogether. Wake up people

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

When I bought my MBP, I accepted it would come with a POS HD....just like EVERY stock HD in EVERY laptop.

No one said he had too, but if want better performance, it's going to cost ya.