My Macbook Pro is just a year old ...upgrade???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsjustmeee, Feb 25, 2011.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I currently own a basic model 15 inch 2.4 Core i5 with 4GB ram that is a little less than a year old. I do have the option of selling this back and upgrading to the the equivalent model that just came out. Should I? Will there be noticeable processor speed/battery performance with the newer model? Or is just really about Thunderbolt and a high def camera and not really much else of a noticeable difference.

Anyone else in this same boat thinking about upgrading?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

if you have money to burn, then do it. I only got the new one yesterday as Apple gave me one to replace my early 08' 15" 2.5GHZ machine. So coming from that one to this one is an upgrade :)

If you are going to sell, might wanna do it ASAP as they will start to hit the Apple clearance site for much less than they sold for 2 days ago...

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That depends upon how much money you'd lose by selling it. If you're gonna lose $700 in the swap I'd be hesitant. Thunderbolt peripherals won't be on the market for awhile anyway (Apple isn't even selling cables). The processor speed is a significant jump, and if you are a power user maybe its worth it for that.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Initial benchmarks are saying that there are significant increases in performance on the new MBPs compared to the 2010 models. So if you want performance, the latest-and-greatest, and got cash to burn, then sure.

On the other hand, there's gonna be another refresh again in a year. And you can bet that it'll likely have the optical interface version of Thunderbolt, even faster processor and GPU, and a bigger and better everything.

I have a 2010 MBP as well, and it's tempting to sell and upgrade, but I'm already in that yearly cycle with my iPhone. My MBP still does what I need it to do, and until that changes, it doesn't make sense yet for me to ditch it and upgrade. I'll probably wait until the 2012 model comes out.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Unless you need a lot more power, I'd pass. You really don't need to replace your computer every year for it to be relevant. Tech moves fast, but not that fast.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You should probably just get an SSD instead of a new computer. That way it'll last you until the next revision of processors, whenever that may be.