Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huskermania

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I plugged in my microphone into the mic port on the left side of the computer. Im trying to use it for my Ustream feed but it is not recognizing it. Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Does the system see it? If you go into the System Prefs, Sound, Input tab, can you see the external mic listed there? You'll have to select it manually as the system I think defaults to the internal mic even when plugging in an external.

If the system sees it, then whatever app you are using should see it as well, and might have its own input preference on which mic to use. If so, you would have to change that specifically. If it doesn't, then it should use the one selected in the Sys Prefs.

huskermania

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Im trying to use it in Ustream. The only audio input it can find is the internal mic. I'll look in the system prefs though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The port next to the headphone jack on your macbookpro is not a mic jack it's a line in jack. The difference is that the mic jack apply a little power to the mic to pic up the signal, you going to need to buy a USB mic or USB sound card.

That's not true. The port IS a mic/audio in jack. The OP's headset should work fine, since it's also compatible with MP3 players. No extra power is needed.

To the OP: This may sound ultra-basic, but make sure you're plugging into the mic/line in jack, not the headphone/line out jack. You'd be surprised how many get tripped up by that.

windstarfy

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
That's not true. The port IS a mic/audio in jack. The OP's headset should work fine, since it's also compatible with MP3 players. No extra power is needed.

To the OP: This may sound ultra-basic, but make sure you're plugging into the mic/line in jack, not the headphone/line out jack. You'd be surprised how many get tripped up by that.

The port is line in. You need to amp it in order to make it work. Normal microphones do not work.

In the end, I got a USB mic.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The port is line in. You need to amp it in order to make it work. Normal microphones do not work.
In the end, I got a USB mic.

Boom microphones like the OP described do not require amplification for use with personal computers or MP3 players. I use a similar headset/mic all the time with Skype on my MBP. The OP's mic does NOT require amplification.

"WORKS WITH ALL BRANDS OF COMPUTER & AUDIO DEVICES WITH A 3.5MM JACK. COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS® MAC® & LINUX®"

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
The port is line-in. Not mic-in. I did extensive testing about this and ended up using a USB mic.
"Mic signals are low voltage signals produced when the sound ways vibrate the mic diaphram. They range from about 1.5 millivolts in a dynamic mic to maybe 70 millivolts in a really hot (read: sensitive) mic (based on a reference sound pressure level). These signals are delicate and are easily corrupted by electrical noise. Line level signals are much stronger (higher voltage) and are basically an agreed upon industry standard of about 750 millivolts. Using line level signals enables various different devices from different manufactures to be interconnected. They also can be carried over longer distances.

Mic signals are also characterized by their impedance, which affects how efficiently power (remember these are tiny delicate signals) is transferred from the mic source to an input of another device (usually a microphone preamp that raises the signal to "line" level). High quality mics have low impedance and are bests used when coupled to low impedance inputs (low impedance means the current flowing is higher, and the signal therefore has greater noise immunity). Consumer mics often times have high impedance (Hi-Z) and are coupled to Hi-Z inputs. Hi-Z signals are more readily affected by noise."

I do believe Macs use a low power audio-in jack that can use line-level and not mic-level. If something were mic-level it would require something like the Griffin iMic (that's why it exists) for the extra power. Nothing about the OP's specifically, just saying. Also this thread is about a year old :p

Though I might have confused myself in my own research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.