My Macbook Pro is slowing my internet down on all compters and devises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajn21, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ajn21 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 13-inch, late 2011

Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    Software OS X Mountain lion (10.8.3)

Router Netgear dgnd3700v2
    ISP Orange/EE

Recently, I have been having problems with my MacBook Pro, regarding the internet. When the Wi-Fi is on (on the laptop), my entire internet grinds to a halt on the MacBook (normally wireless), my Windows Desktop (wired), my wife's IMac (wireless) and all of our other computers, phone and tablets. However, if I shut the lid or turn the laptop off, my internet works fine. I also tried connecting my laptop to the internet with an Ethernet cable (with Wi-Fi off), but the problem still occurs.

I am quite sure that it is not a problem with my router and that it lies with the laptop.

I have read though a number of forums but none seems quite like mine. I have tried many things to get it working.

- Changed the location
    - Forgot the network and started again
    - Renewed the DHCP Lease
    - Manually configured the Hardware
    - Manually configured Ipv4
    - Reset Wi-Fi settings

On the router

- I have reset the router to factory
    - Changed the wireless channel
    - Made a new SSID
    - Removed password (for trial)

I have run out of ideas for what I can do, can anyone help?

Alex

2. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Is Spotify on, sucking up all your bandwidth?

3. ajn21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope nothing is open (besides the basics) and services such as photo stream are turned off and yet it still doesn't work.

4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

5. ajn21, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

ajn21 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the Laptop? If so no because I have just tried turning it off and the problem still occurs.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I've had some weird problems happen with network bridging or wonky internet sharing settings.

Do you have Internet Sharing enabled in the Sharing prefpane? I've had my Mac slow down wifi when doing Time Machine over the network, but that didn't impact hardwired devices on the network. If everything is slowing down then it sounds like either your MBP is creating some sort of network storm or it's doing something to use up all your broadband bandwidth.

Are the other devices slow ONLY to the internet or are they slow trying to talk to each other as well?

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

go to speedtest dot net and see how fast your internet speed are maybe you need to upgrade your speed

8. Arcsylver macrumors member

Does the network behave the same way if you remove any of the other computers from the system with the MacBook still connected?

9. ajn21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply, with my MBP off I get speeds of around 7.5mbps download (which is good for my area) but whilst on I get around 0.2mbps.

----------

Not quite sure how to word this but no matter what or how many devices are on the network, as long as the MBP is on it the speed is slow.

10. muellersthegoat macrumors newbie

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have the exact same issue, everything ajn21 listed.
    Did you ever resolve this issue?
    Thanks,
    MTG