My MacBook Pro Is So Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chevelle2, May 26, 2009.

1. Chevelle2 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I have had this particular MacBook pro for about a year. There was one time I spilled some Mountain Dew on it, so perhaps that is the cause for my problems, but Im not sure.

Basically, as the title suggests, its very slow.

-Upon turning, the desktop and dock appear, but it will take about 30 seconds AFTER clicking on an application for the application to open (This also occurred before spilling Mountain Dew on it)

-Safari sticks when I scroll down the page or go from tab to tab. It also freezes and closes

-This problem has occured so many times that I now use firefox. It is much better, but it still sticks and the pinwheel shows up on occasion

-When I click on a link online, the pinwheel icon shows up for about 5 seconds and THEN the link is activated (I have DSL)

-Sometimes, when more than 3 applications are open, it takes 10-15 seconds going back and forth using spaces. Other times, it just freezes or shuts the program down automatically

-For the first time ever, I was just surfing online, and the screen turned grey with a lot of lines all across it, almost like bad TV reception, I shut it off via the button, and rebooted it and it was ok. But still, not something that should happen.

Basically, internet or not, programs take a while to open, and scrolling down causes sticking. It is very sluggish to use, and also heats up to ridiculous temperatures.

Some information about my computer that may help:

-63 GB out of 186 GB used

-2 GB of Memory

-50% battery health :\

Thank You!

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

My suggestion, bust out your Leopard DVD, and do an Archive and Install then import your user account. You keep your documents and what not, just need to reinstall programs. Something is clearly wrong, but its hard to exactly say what.

You could open Activity Monitor and see if something is hogging CPU and memory also and let us know. A bump to 4GB of memory wouldn't hurt either. My Air has 2GB though and runs very well, just check Activity Monitor and take it from there. Archive and Install will likely be the best option.

Its not the Mountain Dew, if anything the caffeine would increase your system speed and stamina :).

3. Chevelle2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. How exactly do I Archive and Install and import my user account? Are you referring to reinstalling the operating software? Sorry, I am not too good with troubleshooting.

Here is a screenshot of my activity monitor.
    [​IMG]

^I am not aware what kernal_task or VShield Scanner are.

Hahahha @ the Mountain Dew comment :D

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You could try to click those VShieldScanner processes in Activity Monitor then press stop and see if that increases speed at all. McAfee might be the cause of the slowness.

If not, throw in the OS X disk, press Install, let your system reboot, and when you get through some install steps there will be a button named "Custom" or "Options" i believe, where you will see the Archive and Install option. It is very easy and automated.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

before you do all that try running Onyx to clear up some things. also reset PRAM and SMC. if that works you have saved your self having to re-install the whole OS.