My macbook pro is still sluggish!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atypical, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Atypical macrumors newbie

My macbook pro was acting pretty sluggish so I used timeline to do a system restore on it. While it is not as sluggish as it was before, it still lags quite a bit. examples: when i try to do multiple tasks at once it has trouble and also if i have pandora running and I browse the web my pandora music can't keep up with that despite my cable modem's high speed. out of my 500gb i have 50gb free so i don't think it is a memory issue. Maybe I just need to get a new laptop since this one is from 2009? anyone have any suggestions?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Which OS X version, if you have ML that might be the problem, many people complain about sluggish system on ML.

Try resetting PRAM and SMC.
    Look for processes(ALL) in Activity Monitor if this happens, look if there are too many pageouts, upgrade RAM or an SSD.

3. CocoSS macrumors member

First of all look in activity monitor when you see the laptop have problems processing something. Check the processes that uses the most CPU/Memory.

Check also if swap is used. In general 20 % of your total HDD space must be kept free for OS.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How much memory do you have and do you frequently have a lot of apps open?

I have a 2010 MBP and I've not come anywhere near the performance issues you mention (its now my wife's computer since I upgraded to an rMBP).

Upgrading to a new machine is a good idea if the current one is not living up to your needs but given what you posted its not completely clear yet

5. Atypical thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I didn't reply back, i tried most of your guy's suggestions and my computer seems to running a little smoother now. I did the PRAM and SMC. I also ran a "cleanmymac" app along with deleting unnecessary apps and making sure I didn't have any unnecessary apps load at log in. I am also going to try techtools pro and geek squad to see if this helps a little bit more.

BTW, i have mac osx 10.8.2 with 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3 and with 500gb hd. I don't normally have a lot of apps open and the problem still occurs when i am only using a couple. any other suggestions?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

If you're having performance issues, this may help: