My Macbook Pro is Tediously Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by someone28624, Apr 8, 2012.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook Pro, 13 inch, 2.3 GHz i5 processor running OS X 10.7.3. I self upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the hard drive to 1 TB. I suspect the hard drive upgrade may be to blame. The computer takes FOREVER to wake from sleep. My 2003 Macbook beats it. I'd say it takes about 5 minutes after waking from sleep to be functional. Any thoughts? It seems to run okay after it's been going for awhile.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like either hard drive or RAM issues. First things first, be sure your backups are up-to-date.

I would start with the most basic things (ie: repair disk permissions, repair disk, reset PRAM, reset SMC, etc.); these don't require much work on your part; see if your issue is resolved.

If that's not resolved, get MemTest86 and run a test on your memory overnight (FYI: MemTest86 is free, so if you find a site that sells it, it's scam).

Finally if that doesn't show up errors, run a hard drive test; for this I use Drive Genius 3, but if you're looking for a free solution consider searching (sorry I'm no good on the last one).

I suggest the order, since it's from least to most time consuming. Good luck.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Definitely start with repairing disk permissions. It often noticeably speeds things up if it hasn't been done for a long time.

4. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Repairing permissions has made a dramatic improvement.