my macbook pro keeps trying to restart by itself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theprizefight, Aug 29, 2007.

1. theprizefight macrumors member

I have a c2d mbp 2.33 with 2gb ram, purchased in january, with a brand new battery (because my last one was faulty).

I have noticed that if i leave my computer for a while by itself, even when plugged into AC power, it tries to restart itself. Usually it wont restart because i usually have vmware fusion running, and vmware prevents it from being able to restart, but I can at least see that it is trying to restart.

I checked my energy settings and it is set to never go to sleep, and 'put the hard disk to sleep when possible' is unchecked.

any idea why it keeps wanting to restart by itself? sometimes i see a countdown that says if you dont click cancel within x amount of time it will restart itself.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Installed any hacks?

Also, what programs are you running when that happens? Installed any updates recently? Have you tried restarting the computer to see if the problem persists?

Finally, make a new user account and see if the problem remains with that.

3. theprizefight thread starter macrumors member

I recently installed quicksilver but use it pretty infrequently.

I am usually running vmware fusion as mentioned, as well as nearly always running adium, mail, and itunes.

I have all the latest os x updates.

I have restarted and it keeps happening. it seems like it doesnt do it every time, and seems pretty random. I will try creating the new account as mentioned. thanks.

4. animaxcg macrumors regular

same thing is happining to my Macbook pro 1.83ghz

5. jesterpm macrumors newbie

Of the 40-someodd macs that I manage, my MacBook Pro, a Powerbook G4, and another MacBook Pro all attempted to properly reboot themselves (close out of applications, shutdown, and reappear at the login prompt) for no apparent reason. All are up-to-date running leopard.

Anyone found a solution?

6. animaxcg macrumors regular

i found the problem it's a problem with the ram. at lest mine was.
    its caused by a short in the logic board.