My macbook pro needs help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cali shot doc, Nov 11, 2011.

1. cali shot doc macrumors member

A few weeks ago I let my mom borrow my MBP during her chemo appointment and long story short, less than an ounce of juice was spilled on the left side of the keyboard. I immediately tilted it and got some can air the nurses had at their station to blow the liquid out. Well my keyboard is very sticky and crunchy. Apple says it will be $185 to replace the keyboard. I'm just a student and most of our $$ is going to medical bills right now so i told them i can't afford it but the apple tech was nice enough to clean it up best she could.

GOOD NEWS: is that she said no liquid indicators were tripped and that the juice didn't got past the keyboard.

BAD NEWS: now my computer is running pretty slow and laggy. Scrolling my mouse over the apple doc is not fluid most of the time. Trying to watch youtube on it is hit or miss. Watching digital movies is getting laggier and loading websites can even be an issue. I play mine craft to take a break from studying and even that (which doesnt have fancy graphics or use much memory) is impossible to play now. I've also noticed that it seems to get hotter. Tonight has been the last piece of evidence proving something is really wrong. I tried ripping a dvd using handbrake. it took 40 min to complete 1%. A 2 hr movie which will take 90 min at most to digitalize was going to be 4 hrs (and going up). Having more than one program up feels like I'm asking it to do something out of it's league. Typing can be delayed too.

Called applecare and they had me do a fresh clean install of lion to see if that works and obviously it hasn't. I've had this computer for a little over 8months and this is the first bad thing that has ever happened it it (its my baby, literally)

I know i need apple to look at it but i'm wondering if any of you can give me ideas of whats going on. Am i going to need to get a new computer? If the liquid sensors aren't tripped will it be covered?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Take it to Apple, if the liquid sensors have not tripped you will be ok, bear in mind you have already been told they have not tripped. There are a myriad reasons why the system can suffer significant slowdowns, if it`s hardware related Apple will fix it.

The one cavet is, if your liquid sensors have tripped you are basically on your own and Apple will not cover any cost unless you are very lucky and the Genius make an exception. Go sooner rather than later, if the machine deteriorates you may suffer data loss.

Try not to over analyze, see what Apple say`s first, then take the next step, they may even change your keyboard ;)

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yea, definitely take it to Apple and see if they will fix it. Seems like it might have gotten to the logic board or the HDD and may be thats why its causing problems. If it didnt trip the liquid sensors then you should be fine. I would try to clean it up and even possibly open it up if you have the tools and clean up any residue that may indicate water damage. If they find water damage they will be very hesitant to replace any hardware and you'll definitely pay a hefty price for a new logic board ($600), it thats what ends up being the issue. If its some minor connector or HDD problem it will be much cheaper.