My MacBook Pro picks up 2 way radios

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GRMrGecko, Aug 30, 2011.

1. GRMrGecko, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Why does my MacBook Pro pick up 2 way radios? I am not CRAZY. It does... I have recorded it to prove it http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610721/Audio.mov. I bought my MacBook Refurbished from Apple, so I do not know if it's caused by something they fixed before I bought it or what may be the issue. I have upgraded the ram to 8GB (keeping the original 4GB aside) and I believe this issue has been happening before me upgrading, can not remember when I first realize this. As far as I know, this only goes out of the Analog audio port and not the internal speakers of the MacBook. This may be due to the Wifi and/or Bluetooth being on, so cannot say.

To record the audio: I opened QuickTime, took the speaker I use normally and placed it over the left speaker of the MacBook as that's where the Microphone is and pushed the record button on QuickTime, why it's so short and not understandable, but I can promise I heard words come out of it as well and it was just too short me to start the recording and so on. This obviously only happens whenever someone is talking on that frequency within range to where my MacBook can pick it up, I haven't noticed this with my previous MacBook so I am pretty sure this is just an issue with the MacBook and not my massive audio setup I have with my speakers.

If I can get some advice on this issue, I'll really appreciate it.

-- Edit

It gets amplified whenever I turn up the volume on the MacBook itself.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Lucky!

Sorry to troll but I truly am jealous. Good luck.

3. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Should I place back in my old ram, copy all my data off to backups and old MacBook, then ask apple for a replacement? If I can find out which frequency it's on, I could try streaming audio to it and prove to the Apple Employees that it happens. I do not have any hardware to really test that out, but yeah... It's a weird issue. I may call apple and ask what they think.

4. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2.4 GHZ frequency and the particular channel your WiFi is using.
    Do you have a wireless router?

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There could be someone in your close vacinity using a radio with an illegal amplifier attached.

I have a 10 meter radio modified so it has the 40 CB channels. I also have a 350 watt amp attached. With it, I can talk over fast food wifi systems, the one that the order takers use in the drive throughs. I can also talk over the PA system at my job while outside in the parking lot.

I listened to your audio clip and it sound like this is exactly what's going on. It's not exactly the same frequency that your computer is on so it sounds out of tune.

I don't have a fix for you but I do know that I place one of my iPhones on either my 2009 MBP or my 2008 black MBs palm rest while watching videos in iTunes, it makes the video stutter a bit and the audio will go out of sync.

It seems that the higher frequency that these computers run, the more prone they are to interference.

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

OMFG man that sounds fudging amazing. No joke. I know what I will be doing in the next few months. xD

7. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

You silly kids and your toys.

I would go into your airport (wireless router) and change your channel. If that fails, then back up everything and go see a genius.

8. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

That may be it as my Router is an Apple Airport and it uses the 5GHz frequency span to improve Wireless N where as my old computer never had Wifi N. I'll try changing channel from 149 and see if I hear anything after the change.

9. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

It turns out this was an issue with the way I had my speakers hooked up. My MacBook was actually acting as an antenna for the device I was using to take in 1/4" cable and out 1/8" which was assisting in amplifying radio frequencies with my speakers which are Logitech. Well anyway, I thought it was funny. Now I have a new audio cable extender which is 25' long so I can move around in my room and it seems to have removed the radio noise.