My macbook pro refurb finally arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esphil, Oct 24, 2008.

1. esphil macrumors member

Well after waiting a week to get my new macbook pro refurb, its finally here. It is in absolute perfect shape! This is my third mac, first one was a ibook, next a macbook 2.0 core duo, and now the 2.4GHZ 200GB 2GB ram macbook pro. I like the look wayyy better than the new one and the keyboard I love alot more compared to the macbook. Overall very happy with the purchase. I'd recommend it to anyone, way less money than a new one. Its funny reading the new macbook pro defects thread on a brand new laptop and I get a refurb and can't find a single flaw. :D

So now my question is with all the added horsepower what should I install?

And cool program recommendations?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Congratulations! Your first move could be to upgrade the RAM to 4GB. It's cheap and easy to do, and won't affect your warranty.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

congrats!

Ram is a good choice. But for the moment, I think 2GB ram will suffice.

For programs get:

Adium for instant msging

VLC media player

Transmission for torrents

Firefox

UnrarX for unzipping

4. KSpider macrumors regular

2nd. 80-90$ upgrade

Get a case for it, incase hard case or macally leather shell...

5. esphil thread starter macrumors member

OK, so I found a flaw. If I close the case the middle is snug, but on the left and the right side they are lifted up...
    What can I do?

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's pretty normal unfortunately, assuming it's not a huge gap.

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

congrats man.
    Depending on how much you want to pay / how "legally" you want to acquire these programs, I'd say:

Final Cut Suite or Express
    Google Earth (you can go pretty fast / lots of detail with a decent video card)
    Photoshop (or GIMP for free)

Not sure what all you're into, so that all I got...

8. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Absolutely typical. I wouldn't mess with it but it can be corrected somewhat. Do a search for display lid warped or bent and you should get some hits.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I read a thread once which suggested closing the lid after placing a small eraser in the middle front of the laptop (near the latch), and leaving a couple of comparitively heavy books resting on the outside edges of the lid overnight.

I had the same problem. It doesn't bother me now.

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Yeah I saw that one. :D

I just opened the display and placed my thumbs on either side of the iSight camera and my pinkies on the top corners of the display lid. Then lightly but firmly push my thumbs and pull my pinkies to flex the lid. After a while the lid will bow a little and will lay down straighter when closed. But like I said early I wouldn't mess with it.

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

I'd install a 2nd HDD in the place of the super drive. and use an external SuperDrive.

12. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

If this is the DDR2 MBP, I just picked up a 2GB stick at Newegg for $27.99 and it works great!! Transcend is the brand I got.

Also, look into Zagg InvisibleShield's Full Body Invisible Shield. It looks great and protects equally as great!

13. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Can you post some pictures? If available?

14. Dr. JM macrumors newbie

My MBP will be here tomorrow!

I have ordered exactly the same refurbished MBP from Apple, FedEx tracking says that it will arrive tomorrow. This will be my first Mac in about 11 years; I have been using Dells and HPs over the last few years. I can't wait to actually return to a real operating system. I'm also thinking about upgrading the memory to 4GB.

15. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

my refurb powerbook g4 never slept when i closed the lid as the magent was mis-alligned. no big deal as it onlt takes an extra 1 second to click and select sleep. Handy it not sleeping when i close the lid anyways...

minor issue, nothing to worry about!

16. esphil thread starter macrumors member

Yeah not really a big issue, just the flaw I noticed, I already called, and they would replace it. I'm not going to send it in just to get that fixed. I will be using this for work.

17. minijon macrumors member

Ordered mine last Monday, should be here on Monday. Shame FedEx doesn't deliver on Saturdays. It's going to sit at the local distribution hub all weekend.

18. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your new mbp. I ordered a 2.5 refurb as well, seems the bent lid is a common issue: I'm worried mine will be bent as well.

When you called Apple, did they offer to replace the whole machine for another refurb, or did they offer to replace the lid (if you sent the machine in)?