My MacBook Pro Retina fell from my bed.. it did some damage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeov, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Zeov, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Story: (go to next section if you hate bad excuses, hehe)

I just got a new mattress on my bed, it is smaller than my bed so theres a little "curve" at the edge of my bed.. well i had to go take a leak and as i left my bed it fell off and landed on the floor. It did no damage to my screen, and no damage to the internal parts (which i am aware of).. it did however bend one of the USB ports because i had a USB plugged, and it pretty much landed on that USB device.

So theres a little bulge / dent above the left USB port (next to the left speaker). The USB port works just fine, but the dent is what makes it bad, because i am gonna sell it down the line for a hopefully relevant refresh.

I wanna know if it is possible to change the aluminum chassis? and what would it cost?

i am gonna contact Apple later, but just wanted some input from you guys since they're closed now.

gonna try to upload some pictures of it tomorrow!

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Yes, it is possible, have seen a few top aluminum chassis in Ebay; think they were approx $200-300

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It will probably cost you more to replace the case than you will get in extra money when selling. Unless you're sure you can make the swap, the labor charges might add up too.

4. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Yep I can tell you exactly as I am just having mine done at the apple store.

Repair Estimate
    Item Number | Description | Price Amount Due
    922-9828 | Housing, Bottom Case | £ 74.00 £ 74.00
    B661-5966 | Housing, Top Case, with Keyboard, British | £ 127.00 £ 0.00
    S1490LL/A | Hardware Repair Labor | £ 24.00 £ 0.00
    VAT £ 14.80
    Total £ 225.00 £ 88.80

5. fratey macrumors regular

I think that USB drive just saved your computer!

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

just hope the port has not been damaged or else apple will ask you to repair to replace the logic board if it will interfere with a new top case.

7. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

??????

There is a great channel on you tube by a gentleman named Mark Pubate from Thailand who claims to work at their a p p l e retail store, he posts a lot of "secrets" and tricks of the trade, one video was about the usb ports on the left are most vulnerable and if you "break them", as he puts it, this will cause internal logic board damage, but in his expert opinion it is okay to "break" the right side ports.

???????

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Depends on the model but I do know that some models have a separate I/O board on one side. E.g the right USB ports would be on a separate PCB attached by a cable to the main board, but the left side ports are soldered directly to the main logic board. Way easier and much cheaper to replace a board with just a few ports and a cable, vs the entire motherboard.

9. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

the io board also costs some good money i suppose something over 150$ it has an ethernet chip as well as an hdmi chip on board so it could get costs up. Not sure if the sd reader is on the same board

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I want to see the pics. I agree though. Price to fix vs what you'd get selling as is may notable it worth the fix. Depending on the damage of course

11. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Agree with this /\

yeah if it looks ok. But if we're talking BIG damage people will expect a BIG discount.

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

True, thanks, didn't know that :)
    Still, cheaper than the $800 logic board... Not like I would want to break either :D

13. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

when it comes to apple neither would i dare to break anything they cost a tonne and when your without it you feel differently.