My MacBook Pro Retina Graphics Nightmare!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrManwelo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MrManwelo, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

MrManwelo macrumors member

I'm having big issues with getting my Macbook fixed by Apple at the moment. Sorry this is such a long read (I'm doing it partly to keep a track of what's happened so I can easily file a complaint!)

Spec:
    MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012.
    2.3GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 16GB (Although Currently 8GB - Read on for Details)
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.3

Now, it all started with a graphical issue that was quite hard to explain.

When moving the cursor along the dock, over the applications folder and onto the trash can, the documents folder would glitch out slightly, shaking a little and shrinking in size. (This happened about 1/3/13)

This graphical glitch then got worse over about 3 days and spread to the whole dock. I have my dock set to magnify when scrolling over. When hovering over the dock it would jutter and shake up into its magnified position.

Then, i noticed gestures like app exposé and show desktop made the whole screen glitch out as they transitioned. Also, when scrolling on any application (especially mail and safari) the content would jutter up and down violently. Nothing is smooth anymore.

I've tried to capture the problem with my iphone camera, but it doesn't show up so well.

At this point I booked an appointment at an apple store (the closest being an hour away from where i live). Went there on 9/3/13, they said they need to replace the logic board as it was happening in my bootcamp partition as well as the stores os loaders as well (meaning it wasn't a software fault). I agreed. This is the report it got submitted with (little annoyed with the condition being listed as 'ok', it is pristine condition, zero marks!):

Apple Repair 1 - Logic Board

Took 7 days to complete (14/3/13). My brother picked up the MacBook for me as I was unable. I wasn't able to get it off him for another 2 days. Eventually I checked to see if it was working, which it wasn't. The graphical glitch was still very apparent (if not more so). I don't understand why they would return the computer when it's so obviously still faulty.

Regardless, I phoned up the store and organised a new appointment on the 22/3/13. I mentioned on the phone that my iPhone 5 had also been malfunctioning (showing notifications ages after vibrating). They said they would look at that as well. I booked the appointment on 19/3/13, so plenty of time for them to get their stuff together, right?. Wrong. Drove the hours journey to the store, parked in the only expensive car park there is around there and went to the Apple store (all at my expense, obviously). They didn't have a macbook appointment for me, only an iPhone appointment. I was pretty angry at this, I'd come all the way only to be told the appointment I had booked wasn't booked correctly. Not my fault, theirs, yet I was made to feel very lucky when they managed to find someone to look at my macbook. He said that the screen must be at fault and must be replaced. I was very sceptical about this, but he was very, very sure it would work. I managed to get him to assure me it would be replaced by the next day (23/3/13). This guy didn't email me a work confirmation document. On top of this, they didn't even look at my iPhone problem until I went back later in the day.

Next day, went back to pick it up. I received no email or phone call saying it was ready (Even though they said they would). Drove back to the store and some 'genius' grabbed my mac from the back. Said it was all fixed. Within about 5 seconds of turning it on, it was super obvious that it was still broken. Me, pissed off at this point, showed the guy who got his manager. After waiting ages to see the manager, he finally came out and empathised with me until I felt sick. His 'solution' was for me to leave the Macbook with him one more time so they could replace the logic board. Again. Obviously, I was not impressed with this suggestion, but he seemed to think that they must have replaced the logic board with another faulty logic board. There was no option B. i had to say yes. He said it was going to take another 5 days, until I managed to talk him into bumping up the priority. 5 days went down to 1 day. He said that it could be done within hours, but couldnt promise anything, which left me in the lurch because I didn't know whether to go home or not!. I decided to stay. Here is the report submitted with this repair:

Apple Repair 3 - Logic Board

After a couple of hours I was called and told the logic board was replaced. Then I was called again saying it had passed the diagnostics and was ready to be picked up, but was still displaying the graphical glitches. So the problem still wasn't fixed. All they said they could do now was to escalate the problem to the engineers (whoever they are). My requests for a new macbook to replace this faulty one were shot down in an instant, apparently that wouldn't solve the problem for me?

So I went into the store and collected the macbook, no one wanted to speak to me and the guy that did was very patronising and definitely rubbed me up the wrong way. I left drove all the way back home and decided to write this. At which point i realised three things; my Macbook is now only showing 8GB of memory, the backlit keyboard doesn't light and airport won't automatically connect to my home network anymore. So basically they replaced the logic board with the WRONG ONE. Are they actually trying to get rid of me as a customer? I'm lucky i noticed, I just assumed they would have gotten that right. see here I have to wait until tomorrow before I can call them to set this straight. I'm not happy.

Does anyone know what this problem is, how it can be resolved and what I should do in regards to the terrible service I've received? I have tons of work i need to do, and this is just making everything so much more difficult.

tl;dr My Macbook Pro Retina has a graphical error. Apple have replaced the display once, logic board twice and left me with 8GB less RAM than when I took the Macbook in (fitted the wrong Logic board). Also the keyboard doesn't light anymore. The graphical problem still persists.

UPDATE: Phoned the Apple store and asked to speak to the manager. After being on hold for ages I was put through to a lady (who i assume was the manager. I spoke to an American manager previously). She wanted me to go back into store to sort it out. I explained I'm not coming back in until I know what will be done. After a bit of back and forth, she agreed to order a new replacement Macbook stating it would take up to 2 weeks. I guess that's the best outcome, even if it does mean I have to stick with the broken mac a bit longer. I think I still plan on filing a complaint after this is over.
    Oh, she also said all of the Retina MacBooks in store are producing the same graphical error...which I can't actually believe...

UPDATE 2: It's been 2 weeks and I still haven't received a replacement Macbook. I had to phone them asking where it was. They said they didn't know or how long it would take.

UPDATE 3: Phoned Applecare, they said they couldn't help me due to it being older than 4 weeks. After some negotiation I managed to speak to a customer service rep who said he would contact the store manager on my behalf and check back in a couple of days time to see if I had been contacted by said manager. He also said the current delivery date for the replacement Macbook is 19th April.

UPDATE 4: The manager never phoned me. I had to phone him, he was rude and unsympathetic. He said I've just got to wait and there is nothing he can do and he doesn't know when the replacement will arrive. After 28 days of waiting for my replacement (and 1 month, one week and 4 days since i first entered the Apple store with the problem) I received a phone call saying the new machine is instore. I can't pick it up until the 4th May due to my uni commitments. To be continued...

UPDATE 5: I decided to send an email to the Tim Cook email address that is online. Thought why not? I just explained the whole story and my dissatisfaction. The next day first thing in the morning Apple Care called me up to 'check up on me'. The guy on the phone said that he would compensate my trouble by sending me a baseball cap to my home address. LOL. I find that more of a joke than offering nothing at all (I didn't ask for anything btw). Later in the day, the manager from the Apple Store in Bristol phoned me up. Whether it is a coincidence or to do with the email i sent, i dont know. Basically she said that its unacceptable that I can't get the Macbook until the 4th May so she's organised a courier to come to my uni house, pick up the broken one, drive back to bristol swap it out for the new one, drive back to my uni house and deliver it to me. All in the same day. A 7 hour round trip. Crazy, but I don't care I just want my Macbook. So this is to be completed on Monday 22nd May. She then offered me 15% off my next purchase in store. Almost as useless as the hat. I'll see what turns up tomorrow...

UPDATE 6: I finally have a working, new Macbook Pro retina. Excellent. It took 7 weeks and 4 days from the onset to get a working Macbook, but at least it's here now. The courier told me that it has cost Apple £240 to deliver the Macbook to me. He showed me the receipt. I also received a 15% off my next purchase voucher, which isn't great. How do I feel about Apple now? I have lost respect for what I once considered a great company with great customer service.

2. HCR93 macrumors member

Sounds you've had a terrible experience with Apple repairs, and I can empathise with you, I really can!

I recently had a graphical glitch on my mid-2010 MBP, so I take it in and they agree to replace the logic board. I pick the machine up a few days later, looking over it only quickly and all seems fine. When I get home, just a few minutes in, original graphics distortion is back. So next day I take it back in, and they agree to replace the display, logic board and top case (don't know why all that was necessary... it's basically every part of the machine at that point)! Get it back, finally graphics are sorted, but now no keyboard backlight, intermittent trackpad and faulty firewire! I could not believe it! Finally back it goes again, and this time a manager comes out and explains I have had a terrible experience and he would like to offer me a brand new 2012 spec machine. From there everything was fantastic, they select a BTO model and I had it the following week and it's perfect.

Therefore I really understand what it feels like, our issues were so similar! It really puts into question what they really do in the repairs. It seems there is no quality check afterwards and it introduced more issues than it solved for me on multiple occasions. BUT importantly it seems Apple should sort it for you in the end, I hope they work things out for you as they did for me! They somehow turned round a really shoddy experience (though I'm still uneasy about their repairs).

Which Apple Store in the UK are you going to by the way? I know they very massively depending on who you get and how lucky you are... I went to the one in Manchester Arndale.

3. MrManwelo, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

Bristol Cabot Circus. I'm glad your tale had a happy ending. I'll update on how mine goes. I was thinking about going to a different store...

4. ppone macrumors regular

If the problems aren't still fixed, they should be replacing it with a new rMBP.

5. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

And it's not even like the problem isn't obvious, they all look at it and go 'wow, that's bad, not seen that before'. Yet they are very happy to send me away, with it still unresolved.

Should I change the Apple store I go to (they are all miles away anyway)

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You could try. I would speak with a manager on the phone fIrst though. Describe your problems and tell them you would like a replacement. Hear what he says before even going into the store.

7. ppone macrumors regular

I would try a different Apple store. Some stores have better service than others.

Your gonna have to go in the store and put your foot down. You should tell them that you have at least 3 different repairs that did not solve your problems.

You basically have a defective computer, which is covered under the 1 year (3 year if you bought it) warranty.

Most likely they will immediately replace your computer after looking at the repair history. If they do not speak to manager and complain.

Your will mostly likely be replaced with a new equivalent 2013 model.

Btw if they downgraded your memory that is fraud. You paid for 16Gb and got 8Gb. Just bring your original receipt as well.

If they don't do anything you can sue them in small claims court.

Thanks

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It sounds like the computer is pretty messed up after that last repair. Since it's gone through four logic boards at this point and the graphical glitch was still present, I'm just curious how you're determining that the graphical glitch was a hardware issue and not a software problem? Have you tried creating a new user account and checking if the same problem exists? Do you have any unusual software installed, or have you done any modifications to things like OS X graphics, icons, or other base system modifications?

9. MrManwelo, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

They've verified that it is a hardware based problem as it does it in my bootcamp partition when scrolling and new user accounts. Also they loaded an in store partition of OSX that also replicated the problem.

I have no unusual configurations or software. I'm a very run-of-the-mill user.

UPDATE: Phoned the Apple store and asked to speak to the manager. After being on hold for ages I was put through to a lady (who i assume was the manager. I spoke to an American manager previously). She wanted me to go back into store to sort it out. I explained I'm not coming back in until I know what will be done. After a bit of back and forth, she agreed to order a new replacement Macbook stating it would take up to 2 weeks. I guess that's the best outcome, even if it does mean I have to stick with the broken mac a bit longer. I think I still plan on filing a complaint after this is over.

Oh, she also said all of the Retina MacBooks in store are producing the same graphical error...which I can't actually believe...

10. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Glad you called ahead of time. Let us know how his works out for you!

Oh, and yeah right. I have tried demo retinas. None have that problem.

11. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

Thought I 'd update for those that care.

After being told I would receive a new Macbook Pro within 2 weeks, guess what? Today is the 14th day and no Macbook Pro and no phone call. I had to call them. They said they'd call me back momentarily (took 2 hours) while they found out the progress of the order. Basically they said they don't know how long it will be, but they've ordered it. Nothing I said seemed too change anything.

I don't understand how they can't know how long it will take to arrive. If I order a new customised Macbook off the Apple website now, it would take 3-5 days to arrive and i could check the status of the order at any time. Why can't they?

I'm going to phone up Apple care and complain now.

12. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Are you leaving part of this story out? Does your ex-girlfriend work there or something? Anyway, I would be beyond irate. Definitely call customer care, you should get a free iPod, case, or something for your troubles.

13. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Im having the same issue with the dock shaking and distorting too, just happened right before opening this thread. This sucks!

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

This 'issue' is all over google and apples forums. I'm thinking its a software issue rather than hardware.

15. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I have an appointment at the genius bar on tuesday. They are suppose to tighten screws the left protruding on my mbpr and check out some possible screen damage from when they replaced the lcd. I plan to also mention the flickering issue, Im sure I will not be able to make the flicker in front of them....

16. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

terrible. absolutely terrible. the "genius" employees who fix these machines are far from it. after going through a similar experience with my 17" mbp, i have come to the conclusion that once apple opens up the machine for repair...its done.

they are incompetent idiots who have no idea what the heck they are doing.

ex. guys at apple
    1. messed up the hinge on my screen when they replaced the top case
    2. forgot to attach the dvd drive and backlit keyboard wires when replacing screen hinge
    3. messed up the screw holes so screw would not stay in place
    4. somehow messed up magsafe port in the process

this was over a period of 2 weeks so i was pretty pissed off.

17. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

I phoned yesterday, but they were closed (forgot it was sunday).

Today I was on the phone for an hour. Kept getting passed down the line having to explain my story to each new rep. They said at one point that after talking to after sales, they were unable to help me because my complaint was more than 4 weeks after purchasing. After pushing them to do something, they put me through to a customer service guy who said all they can do at the moment is phone the store in Bristol and speak with the manager on my behalf. He also said the delivery date for the new Macbook is the 19th April (which is no good to me, i'm elsewhere in the country then) I'm now waiting for the Bristol Manager to phone me. The customer service guy said he'd check back in with me on Wednesday to make sure the manager phoned me. All a bit dragged out, really.

No, I can confirm my ex-girlfriend does not work at apple. And that I have been offered no compensation at this point.

Do you have a link at all. My search terms don't really bring anything exactly the same up.

I wish you the best of luck! If it's anything like my problem then it will get progressively worse until its glaringly obvious to anyone that uses your MacBook.

18. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

It's been 5 weeks and 4 days now and Apple have just got in contact with me. Update 4 in the description of the original post.

Am I right in thinking there is no dedicated complaints department or procedure for Apple?

19. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

At this point I would ask for a full refund and get a maxed out MBA or something. THis is ridiculous.

20. leman macrumors G3

I am sorry if I might sound a bit stupid, but did you try reinstalling the OS? Your problems sound like a software issue to me.

21. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, i did. The problems appear on both the OSX partition and the Windows 7 Bootcamp partition.

22. ozbilge10 macrumors member

ozbilge10

when i have ghosting problem, they said your logic board is damaged. genius bar is really annoying.

23. peejack macrumors 6502a

This is terrible. I have had kind of the same problems with mine.

Long story short I have sold my retina and gone for a cMBP. IMO the retina are flawed, under powered and just not good enough.

24. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

You know, I considered that, but I can't imagine them ever agreeing to refund me.

I've updated the description again. Hopefully this will all be resolved on Monday. They offered me 15% off a future purchase and a baseball cap as compensation haha. :|

25. MrManwelo, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013