My Macbook Pro Retina is too cold in the mornings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arian19, Nov 17, 2014.

1. arian19 macrumors 6502

So I just bought a MBPr, I understand that the aluminum body is supposed to act like a heat sink for the macbook. But when I go to use my macbook in the morning it's utterly too cold to even place on my lap without getting frost bite.

What can I do? Does anyone have any methods for keeping it warmer that work? I was thinking about keeping it under the covers? Or putting it in a sweatshirt. But then I was scared of being one of those people who treat there dogs like humans and dress them up... except instead with a MBPr.

P.S: I haven't install Flash with this new MBP, so I can't heat up my laptop using it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about not putting it on your lap until it warms up? The same applies for when it gets too warm. The obvious solution is to set it on something else if it's too uncomfortable to be on your lap.

3. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, that's true... but I should also mention that I am scared of the battery degrading because of the extreme cold, and sudden heat change that happens when I turn on my MBP. I would prefer to prevent it from getting too cold.

As the Apple website states

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
    Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–25° to 45° C)
    Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing

My computer is usually 5-7° C in the mornings. Which is below the operating temperature.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How are you measuring the temp of your MBP? It's not less than 10° in the room, is it? If not, your MBP will warm up once you turn it on. As long as you're not trying to operate it where the ambient temp is outside that range, you have nothing to worry about.

5. blooperz macrumors 6502

time to look up the definition of frost bite XD....

5-7 degrees celcius is well within the –25° to 45° C recommended when not in use...when you turn the machine on it reaches its operating temp in a matter of minutes.

All of that aside, the temp's listed on the apple website are the 'safe' temperatures of the room your using the computer in, not the temp of the actual hardware...please correct me if I'm mistaken.....so unless your room/house is 5 degrees celsius in the morning theres nothing to worry about

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You are correct.

7. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, you win! lol I can't deny that logic.

butttttt, I feel like it wouldn't hurt to get something like this, to store my MBPr in.

http://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Tube-Sock-Messenger-Bag/dp/B00371L9QI

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

that won't passively provide any heat when the computer is turned off =p ... unless your macbook is warmblooded hehe

but it's not a bad idea to have some sort of sleeve or bag to protect the laptop anyways when its not in use

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can if you want, but I doubt it would do anything to keep your MBP warm when it's off or asleep, as it doesn't provide any heat source, and unlike a person, your MBP has no "body heat" to retain when it's off or sleeping.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Seriously where do you store your MBP over night? Does it get that cold in your room?

In the winter, when I would take my MBP to work it would often get quite cold, despite being in a backpack. I don't think it ever took damage from this.

Note that dressing it up won't help with the temperature. What you could do is to keep it turned on over night - you can install chrome and loop a flash video there ;)

11. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Methinks you should turn the heat on in your home/room

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

Methinks the same thing.

13. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I keep my rMBP in something similar to that when i'm not using it, it really doesn't help warm it up in the mornings. Rather just let it run for a few moments before placing it on you lap:D

14. ano0oj macrumors 6502

LOL never heard anyone complain about their computer running too cool...and really shouldn't be a problem after your computer is on for a few minutes..

15. ano0oj macrumors 6502

I don't see any issue here then.
    That 5-7° in the mornings is your STORAGE TEMPERATURE..not operating temperature.
    Once your computer has been running for a few minutes THEN it'll reach it's operating temperature.

16. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Me thinks you should where some pants first before laying the notebook on your lap..

17. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

19. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

20. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The arms, wrists, and hands would touch the cold aluminum. Not (only) the lap.

----------

A case for your MBP may help prevent freezing your lap, but it would not prevent freezing your arms.

21. iRadio macrumors newbie

I still have a Dell Inspiron 6400 in my care that I used to use as a broadcast laptop for streaming football commentary.

It was used for 3 years in all weathers (up in the gantry of a stand) but in the winter it was regularly used in temperatures running as low as -5C.

Just trying to point out that these bits of kit will take much more abuse than we think!

I wouldnt worry about temperature....

ps - The Dell still runs fine, even on Vista