My macbook pro seems to be crashing wifi networks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingkairos, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kingkairos macrumors newbie

Is there anyway a macbook pro can interfere with a wifi network? For the past week my home network has been experiencing issues. While my roommates and I have no problem connecting to the internet, every 20 minutes or so we are unable to access any website. This period lasts about 10 minutes--all the while, each of our computers show a full wifi signal.

At this point you are probably thinking it's a modem/router/isp issue. But when I took my macbook pro to the public library today, I noticed the problem again--as did the others using the free wifi. Upon returning home, my roommate reported that the internet had been working fine in my absence. As soon as I turned my laptop on, however, the problem started up again.

The empirical evidence is starting to point in my direction. What could it be? Does anyone have any clues? I'm not running anything special, when this occurs. Just browsing websites on Firefox.

2. acurafan macrumors 6502a

try setting a static ip addr on the airport. see if that works.

3. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

You are not alone.
    Mine does this as well. Crashes all of my friends WiFi networks and mine. Linksys, Netgear, you name it.

4. kingkairos thread starter macrumors newbie

PeerGuardian

As soon as I clicked on my Network settings (to try and switch to a static IP) I was met with a dialogue box that I can't get past, which says: "Your network setting have been changed by another setting." The only thing that I can think of that would do that is PeerGuardian (which is supposed to block IPs). I just got the program last week--which would coincide with when the problem started. So I tried to uninstall it, but it kept crashing halfway through. So, I'm at an impasse. I can't change my network settings because of the dialogue box and I can't get rid of peer guardian.