My Macbook Pro SR 2.2 - My worst Mac yet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1ncr3du10u5, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

In a week or so it will be the 2nd anniversary of owning my Macbook Pro.

In those 2 years I have had the display replaced twice, the Superdrive once, a defective battery and not forgetting the Logic Board due to the infamous Nvidia graphics issue.

In all the cost of repairs and parts has come to £1644.27, which is about £300 more than the original price. Thankfully the basic and extended warranty covered all that at any rate but it's the inconvenience of 5 x 120 mile round trips to the Apple Store at UK petrol prices that stings a little and here's the thing, I've had this Macbook Pro back from the Apple Store a little over one day but in that time it's been displaying these symptoms which mean suffering more inconvenience and another 240 miles of travelling to get this latest problem sorted. :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe it's time to count my losses and sell it on ebay when I get it back from it's next repair....

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I thought after three repairs, they will replace the whole machine with whatever is current and at the original price point..

... at least thats what I hear from people on this forum who got their old powerbooks replaced with macbook pros.

4. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

It would be nice if they would replace it as I have no trust that this machine is whatsoever reliable. I honestly didn't think they'd do that though. Maybe I'll press this point when I'm at the Apple Store, probably next Saturday.

5. Poogis macrumors member

My MBP Santa Rosa 2.2 is doing me fine but I must admit that the 'not-so-Super-drive' was a lemon from the moment I bought it (Nov 2007).

I would have sent it back to have the thing replaced but it is just too much hassle. I think Apple request that you visit your local Apple authorised repairer but I don't have one.

The rest is all good but I do have Applecare, just in case.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you're still having trouble with it take it back to the Apple store and contact customer relations while you're there and they will see you have had 3 repairs so far and if the genius sees that your Mac is still defective then CR should authorize a replacement .

7. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

The 'Super' in Superdrive means Super fussy as far as I can tell. :(

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I believe that if you have 3 Major issues they WILL replace it with a current model at the same price point.

9. dazey macrumors 6502

Unlucky. I think mine is a santa rosa (2.33GHz), it has been through hell. I drowned it on a motorbike once and literally poured water out of the (sleeping) laptop. The screen took a while to work and still has water damage but it all came back to life. It also has a good few dents, lost its feet and generally looks worse for wear but is still going strong. I did replace one fan that died (£40 IIRC) and I swapped the hard disk. I think the superdrive is knackered, still works but can no longer burn dual layer disks. Not bad going for a laptop optical drive as these never seem to last forever. Mine is an ATI one though
    I don't know what I will do when this dies, not interested in the new one without express34 expansion.

10. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I think I have been particularly unlucky but I get the feeling that Apple has had many more quality issues these last few years for one reason or another.

If I'm able to swap my Macbook Pro for a new one I'll lose the express34 functionality too which I'm currently using to boost the USB2 port count. Seems you and I are the only people using it. :D

11. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

I think that's me covered then as it's certainly 3 issues at least so far. I take it you have to 'demand' a replacement?

12. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Demand a replacement right now!

13. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

Well I will, on Saturday when I can get over to the Apple Store. :D

14. Satch macrumors newbie

A 2,33Ghz with a ATI graphics card isn't a santa rosa. It's a generation before that. And there are expresscard to usb converters availible. Not the most fancy solution but it works.

Ontopic: My SR 2,2 is working lovely since the replacement of the logicboard (Nvidia problem). Repair centre fixed it in a day. Only the drive indeed. 60 km is not next door. Anyways, like the others say: Try to get a new model from apple!

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I definitely think you should be suggesting, asking for, and then outright demanding a replacement at this stage.

Good luck :)

16. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. :)

17. shaunymac macrumors 6502

My fingers are crossed for you as far as a replacement goes.

That whole nvidia thing has scared me ever since news broke. It happend to my friends 2.4 17" and I fear it will happen to my 2.4 15" one day. My has been completely fine though. I just put my first dent on the case . Boy did it piss me off. It fell out of a hummer's door. Ugh! I don't even like to think about it.

Again, good luck. Stick it to them. :D

18. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. To be honest as someone who's always sung the praises of Apple (at least from the OS point of view) it's a bit sad when my fiancee's PC laptop which cost a third of the price of mine hasn't had a thing go wrong with it. It burns on DL disks no problem, has a hard-drive the same capacity as mine and is only really let down by the integrated graphics and godawful Vista OS.

I'm sure I saw a download on the Apple site last week that does a test on your Mac to determine if the Nvidia graphics chip is buggered. Can't for the life of me find it now...

19. Maccleduff macrumors regular

I think youve just been seriously unlucky, Ive not had any major issues with my 2.2 SR MBP, hopefully the graphics card doesnt carp out, its coming up to two years old now. Im literally dreading when the 8600gt will fail....

Did have an issue where the superdrive wouldnt burn discs but i just used a cheapo cd drive cleaner with the little brush on it, and it worked fine after that, was probably just some dust that got onto the head.

Out of curiosity what was wrong with your displays? Ive got the LG one the 9C67, specifically picked that one when i bought it, even returned two samsung 9C68 displays at first because i wasnt happy with those displays that had the yellowing issue.

20. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

My first 2 displays accrued white 'splodges' (for want of a better word) on them. The current display is showing the banding I referred to on my first post, though not right now. It's intermittent.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Three hardware repairs and you can claim a replacement thanks to the lemon policy....

However you have to be in 'warranty'.

22. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I've had a similar story with my mac pro. It's thankfully working now, but I've had so may major problems it's not even funny. I was promised a replacement, then the store changed their minds. I've yet to call Applecare, but next time something breaks that's the first number I'm dialing.

I have the older 2.33ghz MBP and it's been really solid, it did have some trouble after I gave it to my dad, it ran 24/7 for about a year (I had no idea he wasn't rebooting the thing!) and eventually the logic board took a crap. But after the replacement it's been running good as new. I've since reclaimed it for my own use again. Still works as well as when I first got it.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Idk about that. I've had more than 3 things go wrong with mine and they just repaired it again.

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you don't want to go all the way out to the Apple Store, call AppleCare.

25. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

Don't you need Applecare for that?